May 30, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Sent to the minors by the Red Sox to get back into game shape after sitting out the first six weeks of the season, Stephen Drew played shortstop for a full game last night at Triple-A Pawtucket.
Mike Scandura of MLB.com reports that Drew was originally slated to play designated hitter, but felt good enough physically to put in the nine innings at shortstop instead. However, he went 0-for-4 at the plate and is 4-for-15 (.267) with seven strikeouts and one walk in five minor-league games overall.
Because the Red Sox had to pass Drew through waivers unclaimed before sending him to the minors in a procedural move he has to remain there for at least 10 days before joining the active roster and it’s possible they’ll decide he needs a bit more time than that based on his performance. June 2 is the earliest he could return to the majors after signing a one-year, $10.1 million deal that equals a prorated share of the qualifying offer he turned down to start the offseason.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:35 PM EDT
The Dodgers made a couple of moves to make room for reliever Sergio Santos, called up on Friday.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Hisashi Iwakuma is dealing with a strained right lat muscle.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
The Mets have lost for the first time since April 11.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
Michael Saunders should be activated from the disabled list by the Blue Jays on Saturday.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez is starting on Friday night against the Angels.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:27 PM EDT
Hamilton’s return to Texas is the best-case scenario
Apr 24, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Mets reliever Bobby Parnell won’t throw for a week as he experienced forearm tightness during his Tommy John rehab.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
The Angels and Josh Hamilton are reportedly parting ways.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:09 PM EDT
Bonus of Tommy John rehab: more time to study for your naturalization test.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
To be fair, the guy was being a jackwagon.
Rob Manfred was asked again about the leaks in the Josh Hamilton case. His answers weren’t much better.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Two weeks ago he said there would be no investigation. No he says the league has “tried mightily” to figure out the leaks. Really?
Apr 24, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Yelich, who agreed to a seven-year, $49 million contract this spring, was off to a slow start by hitting .200 with zero homers and a .488 OPS through 11 games.
Apr 24, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
A-Rod’s habit of destroying narratives explains an awful lot about why reporters have developed a habit of destroying A-Rod.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
That leaves Everth Cabrera and Jimmy Paredes as the Orioles’ double-play duo.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
“Too spongy, slow and lots of untrue hops”
Apr 24, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Papelbon’s exclusive interview with Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
But even if it’s successful, it may not do what he wants it to do.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Allen Dykstra, who filled in for Loney at first base, is headed back to Triple-A.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Parker has been aiming at an early June return to the A’s.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
“That guy I despise got the benefit of the legal process! What a bunch of bull!”
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)