The Cubs are selling a folding chair Masahiro Tanaka sat in. Bidding is at $260 right now.

May 30, 2014, 9:18 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 9.17.14 AM

YANKEES FAN 1: …Look! Ah! Oh! Oh!

YANKEES FAN 2: He has given us a sign!

CROWD: Oh!

YANKEES FAN 1: He has given us… His chair!

YANKEES FAN 2: The chair is the sign. Let us follow His example!

YANKEES FAN 1: Let us, like Him, hold up one chair and let another be stacked against the wall, for this is His sign, that all who follow Him shall do likewise.

YANKEES FAN 2: No, no, no. The chair is a sign that we must gather chairs together in abundance!

YANKEES FAN 3: …the chair?! No, follow the Gourd!

YANKEES FANS 1 and 2: Oh, get off!

Whatever the case, the Cubs gotta pay for those Wrigley Field renovations somehow:

source:

1. renaado - May 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Jesus… Just how desperate are the Cubs in need of money? Folding chair?? You guys better head to Sendai for that, cause I’m positive tons of guys there will be buyin that crap.

• jeffbbf - May 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Meh – no different than every other team rushing game-used, broken bats from batboy to gift shop and putting a $200 price tag on it.

• renaado - May 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone from the Miyagi prefecture would bid a thousand bucks for that, anything Tanaka uses or uhhh… sits on, is considered “sacred” for em. Kudos to the Cubs in this one of a kind idea though.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - May 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Just for the record, this is part of a charity drive MLB pushes all teams into. Different teams auction different items. The website does not make that as blatantly clear as it should.

• renaado - May 30, 2014 at 9:56 AM

It certainly is a good thing if it’s for charity, but seriously… Them biddin a foldin chair where Tanaka sits on?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - May 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Oh, I totally agree. It’s a very strange item indeed. When the program first launched, they had a LOT more very strange things. Sure there’s the typical stuff, broken bats, game used balls, autographed memorabilia. I believe I saw one that was to have breakfast with a manager once. Some odd player meet and greets. I think I saw one where they let a person interview a manager pre-game, stuff like that.

• natstowngreg - May 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Exactly. The Nats have these fund-raising “used equipment” sales for its Nationals Dream Foundation. Recently, you could buy one of the bases Albert Pujols touched after hitting his 500th homer.

• pinkfloydprism - May 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Well, when the team historically has not been receiving playoff shares/revenue, they have to raise funds somehow.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - May 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Damn, it killed my “color”

Yankees Fan 1: How do you know it’s Tanaka’s?

Yankees Fan 2: Beats me.

Cubs Fan 1: [bends down, scratches chair with nubby fingernails, sniffs deeply] Dat’s Tananaka chair.

Yankees Fan 1: Fugghedaboutit.

Yankees Fan 2: I wanna sniff Jete’s chair instead.

3. tfbuckfutter - May 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM

That’s kind of a lot of money for the opportunity to smell a guy’s ass.

4. rbts2014 - May 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM

The authentication number checks out when you run it in the database so I’d feel pretty good it’s legit if I had any interest in this chair.

As for Jetah’s, I wonder what happened to that one. was it given to him for a retirement gift?

5. stoutfiles - May 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM

The chair doesn’t even have a Cubs logo on it. It has no display qualities whatsoever, unlike a bat, ball, glove, etc.

6. 12strikes2 - May 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Not sure what is worse…. The things people will sell or the things people will buy.

7. blabidibla - May 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM

OMG! His ASS was on that chair. He may have actually farted into that cushion!

8. pete2112 - May 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Kind of sad, but I guess all teams do this one way or another. I just hope 100% of the money ends up going to charity.

9. greej1938l - May 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Man Craig you have good articles then you have this….this piece of….

10. 4cornersfan - May 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM

What?!! Uh… Huh?!! Er… Ulp.

11. holleywood9 - May 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I think they are worried about getting yelled at for throwing it in the trash at this point…

12. mybrunoblog - May 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM

If a simple folding chair can get $250 what will the urinal that Tanka and Jeter peed in go for? The sky’s the limit.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester