May 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
If Vin Scully — who has been working in baseball longer than even most of your parents’ have been alive — can appreciate bat-flipping as something fun and not an affront to baseball etiquette, you have zero right to get bent out of shape about it:
I suppose it’s possible that, when he’s not on the air, Scully talks about stuff like this like all the old curmudgeons do. Saying that Puig is a punk and that he doesn’t care for his showboating. And that his seeming appreciation and amusement at Puig when the camera is on is all just playacting or deep sarcasm.
But I kinda doubt it. Don’t you?
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)