Vin Scully calls Yasiel Puig “The Maestro” of bat-flipping

May 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

If Vin Scully — who has been working in baseball longer than even most of your parents’ have been alive — can appreciate bat-flipping as something fun and not an affront to baseball etiquette, you have zero right to get bent out of shape about it:

I suppose it’s possible that, when he’s not on the air, Scully talks about stuff like this like all the old curmudgeons do. Saying that Puig is a punk and that he doesn’t care for his showboating. And that his seeming appreciation and amusement at Puig when the camera is on is all just playacting or deep sarcasm.

But I kinda doubt it. Don’t you?

1. xpensivewinos - May 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM

The catch he made in foul territory in right field last night was rather impressive.

If this guy had even the slightest bit of natural baseball acumen, he would be the greatest player on the planet by far. He’s one of the best now and that based solely on physical ability.

Him good.

• rohlo - May 30, 2014 at 4:56 PM

he has great ability,but he is quite cocky! in baseball the one thing is when you show up an opposing pitcher dont get pissed when he nails you in the earhole!! turnabout is fairplay!!

thing is if he had hustled instead of showboating he would have had a triple instead of double while flippign the bat when he thought it was a homerun..who the hell flips the bat on a long double???? i see why the coaches get annoyed with him not hittingthe cutoff man instead tryign to show off the arm.. he doesnt seem like he respects authority which could end up being his downfall..someone comign fro mhis situation and how he got here you would think he would be more humble and greatful! it can all come crashing down just as fast as it went up!!!

2. randygnyc - May 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I find Scully to be 100% sincere. If he says it, he believes it. Just my opinion, though.

• moogro - May 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I agree. He’s a storyteller. He’s aware that undermining that with sarcasm or snark is capital that can’t be quickly regained.

3. jimmyt - May 30, 2014 at 10:40 AM

The kid is just having fun….but I would not fault any pitcher for putting him on base with a fastball to the ribs either.

• nogoodtomedead - May 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Exactly- the argument against bat-flipping is just as absurd as this apparent argument for it.

• rohlo - May 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM

thing is he flipped the bat last nite and didnt hustle thinking it was a homerun..he should of had a triple..who flips the bat on a double????

4. jm91rs - May 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM

The best part is that you know Cole wants to cry about that bat flip so badly.

• notsofast10 - May 30, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Yah that was a close one, good thing Cole was watching the ball and did not see the bat flip, could have been ugly!

5. oregoncoastdailynews - May 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Vin also told a wonderful story last night about Pirate manager Clint Hurdle and the number 64.

• agent0027 - May 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Yes he did, awesome story, good call. One can learn more about life watching a single game called by Scully than many people learn in all their years in school.

6. thetoolsofignorance - May 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Some days I feel like the only man with a sense of humor left on planet earth and then I listen to Vin Scully call a game and I feel better. Yes sir that was indeed a bat flip. When Yasiel Puig flips a bat it is a flipped bat and not a partially flipped one. Thanks Vinny.

• baberuthslegs - May 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Tools, each of us should feel better for having heard Mr. Scully.
      Great post my friend.

7. consumerrightsdefenders - May 30, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Vin is the greatest baseball announcer ever. If he says it…believe it. He as are we who see Puig play are absolutely amazed by this raw power talent and defensive prowess….at least this year so far. Viva Puig!!!

• jimmyt - May 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM

You might want to qualify that statement with an “in my Opinion”. Not saying he wouldn’t be on the Mount Rushmore of BB announcers but GOAT?

• dan1111 - May 30, 2014 at 4:26 PM

If something is obviously an opinion, the words “in my opinion” are nothing but useless dreck that wastes space and wastes people’s time for having to read it. They are the opposite of clear, concise writing.

Of course, that’s just my opinion…

8. nbjays - May 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Man, I love me some Vin Scully.

9. upperdecker19 - May 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM

But if “The Maestro” offers some magic balm for a hot coffee spill wound……politely decline.

• cur'68 - May 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Who told you to use a balm?

10. hansob - May 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I was in my late teens when I found out his first name wasn’t “Vince”.

• lazyhorse420 - May 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Bob Cobb

• lazyhorse420 - May 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Bob Cobb, should have been posted up one thread higher.

11. pandorasdadca - May 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Vin was pretty clearly throwing a little sarcasm in there. Which is awesome!
    The best part about that game? The Dodgers lost and are 6.5 games back!

12. 4cornersfan - May 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Scully is getting painful to watch. It’s like accidentally waking up grandpa and not being able to get away before he starts on the stories.

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 30, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Vin Scully made me a baseball fan. His terrific stories, told in his mellifluous voice, drew me in… in 1967, and he was in his 40s. His storytelling is not even close to being a recent development. Yes, he does make more errors now, but his hits just keep on coming.

• hopespringseternal - May 30, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Vin also hooked me, starting in 1958 when they first arrived in LA. I still listen when I can.

• crackersnap - May 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I see you are getting pummeled with down thumbs. I know I will get them, too.

I was raised on Scully here in SoCal by an all-Dodger family, before the Angels moved to Anaheim next door and I could claim a team for my own. I know exactly what it means to Scully fans everywhere to have the butter-smooth delivery filling up the air time of a radio broadcast in the golden air of a SoCal summer haze, preventing 60’s/70’s baseball from suffering through what was an otherwise languid experience. It was artful, and my memories are as romantic as anyone’s.

Slew forward several decades and catch a few inter-league broadcasts between the Dodgers and Angels, where the game is being presented by the Dodger feed and I am listening to Scully after some Rip Van Winkle outage. Not the same. Not good. He is slower and far less crisp, mis-pronouncing names, and his voice now is brittle in comparison. Painful for one with unbiased memories who has not been dulled in their observations by constant familiarization as he declines.

So, Scully is a god in the pantheon of sports broadcasters, yes. Inarguable. The Scully of today is maybe 50%-60% of the Scully in his prime, which is still probably 30% to 60% better than most anybody else, depending on who you pick. But the Scully of today is not worthy of the praise that is heaped on the Scully of yesterday.

13. stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Wait! I am confused (I know this is not shock to most of you).
    Anywho…he flipped his bat (yet again) on a ball that doesn’t leave the yard?
    I was expecting an epic home run to go with that epic bat flip.
    I am trying to understand the rules, regulations, parameters, etc… of bat flipping 101.
    This is mind…is it okay for anyone to flip his bat? Or does this only pertain to Yasiel?
    Additionally, when is it NOT okay to flip your bat?
    On a ground ball out? On a pop up? On a bunt? On a line drive? On a wall banger?

Wait…let me re-phrase this. But first, please disregard your thoughts about Yasiel Puig.
    I fully understand he is allowed to do anything he wants at any point during a game.
    When is it NOT okay for any baseball player NOT named Yasiel Puig to flip his bat?

14. sportsfan18 - May 30, 2014 at 4:24 PM

when players, in any sport, do more than what is necessary to make the play, they are showboating, grandstanding or whatever term you want to use or call it.

I’m NOT saying it is bad, just calling a spade a spade…

we’ve ALL watched thousands upon thousands of batters over the years hit the ball, drop the bat and begin running to first base…

what Puig does isn’t what HAS to be done… he does it for SHOW, he has to INTENTIONALLY do that.

we saw him bat last season after he hit the ball and began running to first, he did NOT flip the bat that way…

he’s doing it now for attention, not because he has to, he WANTS to…

that’s up to individuals to decide whether it’s good or not…

15. kountryking - May 31, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Vinnie is the greatest sports announcer in the history of broadcasting. I hate listening to two or three ex-player buffoons talking to each other about Donald Sterling while something exciting or certainly more interesting is happening in the game. Vin talks to us.

Orioles turn AL East on its head