May 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Indians right-hander Corey Kluber might not be a household name yet, but he’s getting closer with every strikeout.
Kluber fanned 12 batters and allowed two runs on five hits and one walk over 7 1/3 innings last night in a victory over the Rockies at Progressive Field in Cleveland. The outing closed the book on a fantastic May, as he posted a 2.04 ERA over six starts and struck out at least eight batters in all of them.
All those strikeouts have put him in some pretty impressive company:
After quietly compiling a 3.85 ERA and 136/33 K/BB ratio over 147 1/3 innings with the Indians last season, Kluber has posted a 3.04 ERA through 12 starts this season and currently leads the majors with 95 strikeouts over 80 innings. His 10.7 K/9 is the best among starters while his 28.4 percent strikeout percentage is only slightly behind that of Zack Greinke, Stephen Strasburg, and Masahiro Tanaka, who have struck out batters at rate of 28.5 percent.
I have begun referring to Kluber as “Klubot the Strikeout Machine,” and I encourage you all to do the same.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)