May 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Indians right-hander Corey Kluber might not be a household name yet, but he’s getting closer with every strikeout.
Kluber fanned 12 batters and allowed two runs on five hits and one walk over 7 1/3 innings last night in a victory over the Rockies at Progressive Field in Cleveland. The outing closed the book on a fantastic May, as he posted a 2.04 ERA over six starts and struck out at least eight batters in all of them.
All those strikeouts have put him in some pretty impressive company:
After quietly compiling a 3.85 ERA and 136/33 K/BB ratio over 147 1/3 innings with the Indians last season, Kluber has posted a 3.04 ERA through 12 starts this season and currently leads the majors with 95 strikeouts over 80 innings. His 10.7 K/9 is the best among starters while his 28.4 percent strikeout percentage is only slightly behind that of Zack Greinke, Stephen Strasburg, and Masahiro Tanaka, who have struck out batters at rate of 28.5 percent.
I have begun referring to Kluber as “Klubot the Strikeout Machine,” and I encourage you all to do the same.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)