May 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Indians right-hander Corey Kluber might not be a household name yet, but he’s getting closer with every strikeout.
Kluber fanned 12 batters and allowed two runs on five hits and one walk over 7 1/3 innings last night in a victory over the Rockies at Progressive Field in Cleveland. The outing closed the book on a fantastic May, as he posted a 2.04 ERA over six starts and struck out at least eight batters in all of them.
All those strikeouts have put him in some pretty impressive company:
Kluber has 2.09 ERA, 60 K, 8 walks in 43 IP in May. Joins Darvish (Aug. 2013) as only MLB pitchers with 60+ K in a month over past 10 years.—
Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) May 31, 2014
After quietly compiling a 3.85 ERA and 136/33 K/BB ratio over 147 1/3 innings with the Indians last season, Kluber has posted a 3.04 ERA through 12 starts this season and currently leads the majors with 95 strikeouts over 80 innings. His 10.7 K/9 is the best among starters while his 28.4 percent strikeout percentage is only slightly behind that of Zack Greinke, Stephen Strasburg, and Masahiro Tanaka, who have struck out batters at rate of 28.5 percent.
I have begun referring to Kluber as “Klubot the Strikeout Machine,” and I encourage you all to do the same.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)