May 31, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Things got heated between the Rays and Red Sox last weekend and it continued last night at Fenway Park in Boston, as David Price hit both David Ortiz and Mike Carp with pitches, which eventually led to a benches-clearing incident. Brandon Workman, John Farrell, Torey Luvullo, and Brian Butterfield were all ejected during the evening for Boston while Price remained in the game and pitched seven innings. The Red Sox eventually won 3-2 in 10 innings.
As you may recall, Price was peeved when Ortiz took some extra time to admire a home run during Game 2 of the ALDS last year. Per CSNNE.com, Ortiz told reporters after last night’s game that the first-inning hit-by-pitch was retaliatory in nature and he used some inflammatory language to rip Price.
“You can’t be acting like a little girl out there,” said Ortiz. “You’re not going to win every time. When you give it up, that’s an experience for the next time. If you’re going act like a little [expletive] when you give it up, bounce back and put your teammates in jeopardy, that’s going to cost you.”
Ortiz made it clear that the actions belong to Price and Price alone.
“He knew he screwed up,” said Ortiz. “He did that on his own. No manager sent him. No player was comfortable with the situation. He did that on his own. Which is (expletive). He can get somebody else hurt. You can’t be doing that (stuff).”
“It’s on. Next time [Price] better bring the gloves. I have no respect for him no more.”
You certainly don’t want to see anybody get hurt with a silly beanball war, so it’s easy to understand Ortiz’s frustration here. However, it would be nice to see him get his point across without needlessly stepping into misogyny. Oh well.
Here’s video of Ortiz’s comments:
“I’ve got to establish my fastball in,” Price said. “I’ve got six lefties in that lineup. It’s my favorite side of the plate to go to.”
Ortiz characterized the situation as “a war” during his post-game comments, so the rest of this weekend — and future matchups between Ortiz and Price — should be interesting.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)