May 31, 2014, 9:52 AM EST
Things got heated between the Rays and Red Sox last weekend and it continued last night at Fenway Park in Boston, as David Price hit both David Ortiz and Mike Carp with pitches, which eventually led to a benches-clearing incident. Brandon Workman, John Farrell, Torey Luvullo, and Brian Butterfield were all ejected during the evening for Boston while Price remained in the game and pitched seven innings. The Red Sox eventually won 3-2 in 10 innings.
As you may recall, Price was peeved when Ortiz took some extra time to admire a home run during Game 2 of the ALDS last year. Per CSNNE.com, Ortiz told reporters after last night’s game that the first-inning hit-by-pitch was retaliatory in nature and he used some inflammatory language to rip Price.
“You can’t be acting like a little girl out there,” said Ortiz. “You’re not going to win every time. When you give it up, that’s an experience for the next time. If you’re going act like a little [expletive] when you give it up, bounce back and put your teammates in jeopardy, that’s going to cost you.”
Ortiz made it clear that the actions belong to Price and Price alone.
“He knew he screwed up,” said Ortiz. “He did that on his own. No manager sent him. No player was comfortable with the situation. He did that on his own. Which is (expletive). He can get somebody else hurt. You can’t be doing that (stuff).”
“It’s on. Next time [Price] better bring the gloves. I have no respect for him no more.”
You certainly don’t want to see anybody get hurt with a silly beanball war, so it’s easy to understand Ortiz’s frustration here. However, it would be nice to see him get his point across without needlessly stepping into misogyny. Oh well.
Here’s video of Ortiz’s comments:
“I’ve got to establish my fastball in,” Price said. “I’ve got six lefties in that lineup. It’s my favorite side of the plate to go to.”
Ortiz characterized the situation as “a war” during his post-game comments, so the rest of this weekend — and future matchups between Ortiz and Price — should be interesting.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)