May 31, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Giants are not actively engaged in extension talks with third baseman Pablo Sandoval. The last time this subject was broached, just over a month ago, reports indicated that Sandoval was still seeking at least $100 million.
Sandoval was off to an abysmal start to the season, posting a .526 OPS through May 10. Since then, he has caught fire, slashing .389/.400/.708 with six home runs and 19 RBI entering Saturday’s action against the Cardinals. Still, the early slump along with his injury history and weight issues have likely given the Giants pause.
Sandoval, 27, is earning $8.25 million in the final year of a three-year extension signed in January 2012. He can become a free agent after the season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)