May 31, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Giants are not actively engaged in extension talks with third baseman Pablo Sandoval. The last time this subject was broached, just over a month ago, reports indicated that Sandoval was still seeking at least $100 million.
Sandoval was off to an abysmal start to the season, posting a .526 OPS through May 10. Since then, he has caught fire, slashing .389/.400/.708 with six home runs and 19 RBI entering Saturday’s action against the Cardinals. Still, the early slump along with his injury history and weight issues have likely given the Giants pause.
Sandoval, 27, is earning $8.25 million in the final year of a three-year extension signed in January 2012. He can become a free agent after the season.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)