May 31, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Giants are not actively engaged in extension talks with third baseman Pablo Sandoval. The last time this subject was broached, just over a month ago, reports indicated that Sandoval was still seeking at least $100 million.
Sandoval was off to an abysmal start to the season, posting a .526 OPS through May 10. Since then, he has caught fire, slashing .389/.400/.708 with six home runs and 19 RBI entering Saturday’s action against the Cardinals. Still, the early slump along with his injury history and weight issues have likely given the Giants pause.
Sandoval, 27, is earning $8.25 million in the final year of a three-year extension signed in January 2012. He can become a free agent after the season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)