May 31, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Giants are not actively engaged in extension talks with third baseman Pablo Sandoval. The last time this subject was broached, just over a month ago, reports indicated that Sandoval was still seeking at least $100 million.
Sandoval was off to an abysmal start to the season, posting a .526 OPS through May 10. Since then, he has caught fire, slashing .389/.400/.708 with six home runs and 19 RBI entering Saturday’s action against the Cardinals. Still, the early slump along with his injury history and weight issues have likely given the Giants pause.
Sandoval, 27, is earning $8.25 million in the final year of a three-year extension signed in January 2012. He can become a free agent after the season.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 75
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 19
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 8
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 61
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)