May 31, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT
The Mets demoted right-hander Rafael Montero to Triple-A Las Vegas today after he gave up four runs (three earned) over 3 2/3 innings last night against the Phillies. According to Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger, Mets assistant general manager John Ricco said this afternoon the move was made out of “necessity” because the bullpen was stretched thin in their 14-inning loss last night. The team has called up right-hander Buddy Carlyle to take Montero’s place on the active roster.
The Mets called up Montero and Jacob deGrom from Triple-A earlier this month after Jenrry Mejia was moved to the bullpen and Dillon Gee was placed on the DL with a lat strain. While deGrom has pitched well, Montero has been a little shaky. The 23-year-old struck out 10 batters and allowed just one run in six innings against the Diamondbacks last Sunday, but he has allowed 12 earned runs on 21 hits (including five home runs) and 11 walks in 20 innings across his first four major league starts.
Montero figures to get another shot before long, perhaps as soon as he’s eligible to return, but Daisuke Matsuzaka will take his place in the starting rotation next Wednesday against the Cubs.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)