May 31, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
As strange as it sounds, the Astros hadn’t lost in over a week entering Saturday’s game against the Orioles. They hadn’t lost since May 23 in Seattle, to be exact. The ‘stros salvaged the final two games of their four-game set with the Mariners for a series split, then swept the Royals in Kansas City, and took the first two games of a four-game set at home against the Orioles. Even better, they had Dallas Keuchel — surprisingly one of baseball’s better starters through the season’s first two months — taking the hill in search of eight consecutive wins on Saturday.
It was not to be. While Keuchel pitched well, allowing three runs over six innings, Orioles starter Chris Tillman was even better, limiting the Astros to one run over 6 2/3 innings. The O’s bullpen nailed down the 4-1 win and at long last, the Astros lost a baseball game.
Over their seven-game winning streak, the Astros outscored the opposition 39-12 and picked up three games in the AL West. The 24-33 Astros are presently in a virtual tie with the 23-32 Rays for the worst record in the American League.
Rookie outfielder George Springer had a lot to do with the Astros’ success, .299/.413/.753 with 10 home runs and 23 RBI dating back to May 8. Not to be forgotten, second baseman Jose Altuve was slashing .369/.405/.500 with 11 stolen bases in the month of May prior to going 0-for-4 on Saturday.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 1
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)