May 31, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada entered Saturday’s game against the Phillies with a .579 OPS and two career home runs in 1,340 at-bats. As Phillies center fielder Ben Revere homered on Tuesday, Tejada had been the newest owner of baseball’s longest active homerless drought. His last deep drive came on August 1, 2012 against Giants starter Matt Cain, 552 at-bats ago.
In the fourth inning, Tejada took a Kyle Kendrick breaking ball out to left field for a solo home run, increasing the Mets’ lead to 3-0, ending the drought. Coincidentally, the two most recent homerless droughts have been ended at Citizens Bank Park.
Per ESPN’s Adam Rubin, citing the Elias Sports Bureau, the latest king of the homer drought is Cubs catcher John Baker, who hasn’t homered in 426 at-bats dating back to September 4, 2009. Brewers starter Kyle Lohse has the overall longest drought at 434 at-bats, but he doesn’t really count since he’s a pitcher.
Tejada finished Saturday’s game 3-for-4 with an RBI single and a walk along with the homer, pushing his slash line up to .227/.349/.289 in 154 plate appearances on the season.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (153)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)