May 31, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada entered Saturday’s game against the Phillies with a .579 OPS and two career home runs in 1,340 at-bats. As Phillies center fielder Ben Revere homered on Tuesday, Tejada had been the newest owner of baseball’s longest active homerless drought. His last deep drive came on August 1, 2012 against Giants starter Matt Cain, 552 at-bats ago.
In the fourth inning, Tejada took a Kyle Kendrick breaking ball out to left field for a solo home run, increasing the Mets’ lead to 3-0, ending the drought. Coincidentally, the two most recent homerless droughts have been ended at Citizens Bank Park.
Per ESPN’s Adam Rubin, citing the Elias Sports Bureau, the latest king of the homer drought is Cubs catcher John Baker, who hasn’t homered in 426 at-bats dating back to September 4, 2009. Brewers starter Kyle Lohse has the overall longest drought at 434 at-bats, but he doesn’t really count since he’s a pitcher.
Tejada finished Saturday’s game 3-for-4 with an RBI single and a walk along with the homer, pushing his slash line up to .227/.349/.289 in 154 plate appearances on the season.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)