May 31, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Ryan Howard‘s three-run home run off of Mets starter Jacob deGrom in the seventh inning on Saturday was important for the Phillies because it brought them back into the game at a 4-3 deficit. It was important for Howard because it brought him to 1,000 career RBI.
Per Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Howard has become the fastest to reach 1,000 career RBI, needing only 1,230 games to do so.
Howard has driven in 12 runs in his last six games, including three on a walk-off three-run home run against the Rockies on Wednesday. The first baseman is slashing .230/.304/.425 with 10 home runs and 37 RBI on the season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)