May 31, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Cardinals top prospect Oscar Taveras harmlessly flew out to left field in his first major league at-bat this afternoon, but he did this in his second at-bat:
That swing. Just beautiful. Here’s hoping it’s the first of many in the big leagues. The game went into a rain delay right after the home run, which gave the Cardinals a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the fifth inning, so it is an official game and the home run will count no matter what.
Courtesy of our own Matthew Pouliot, check out this screenshot of Taveras’ blast. If this picture isn’t the wallpaper in Drew Silva’s bedroom already, I’m gonna be really disappointed.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)