Jun 1, 2014, 1:49 PM EST
From Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel comes word that the Marlins have acquired right-handed reliever Bryan Morris from the Pirates in exchange for their competitive balance pick in the 2014 MLB Amateur Draft, which gets underway this Thursday evening. It’s the 39th overall selection.
Morris owns a decent 3.46 ERA in 93 2/3 career innings (81 appearances) at the major league level, but he’s issued 42 walks alongside 57 strikeouts.
The 27-year-old was selected 26th overall by the Pirates in 2006, so this is sort of like a do-over.
To clear a roster spot, the Marlins transferred Jose Fernandez (elbow) to the 60-day disabled list.
Miami is off to a surprising 28-27 start with the best run differential (+19) in the National League East.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15