Jun 1, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) June 1, 2014
It’s not clear exactly how or when Saltalamacchia suffered the head injury, but the safe guess is that he took a few too many foul tips off his catcher’s mask on Saturday afternoon. The 29-year-old had a great April but was slumping to the tune of a .177/.258/.241 batting line across 89 plate appearances in May. Jeff Mathis and the newly-recalled J.T. Realmuto will serve in a tandem behind the plate while Salty is out.
Saltalamacchia signed a three-year, $21 million free agent contract with Miami over the winter.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)