Jun 1, 2014, 11:33 AM EST
— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) June 1, 2014
It’s not clear exactly how or when Saltalamacchia suffered the head injury, but the safe guess is that he took a few too many foul tips off his catcher’s mask on Saturday afternoon. The 29-year-old had a great April but was slumping to the tune of a .177/.258/.241 batting line across 89 plate appearances in May. Jeff Mathis and the newly-recalled J.T. Realmuto will serve in a tandem behind the plate while Salty is out.
Saltalamacchia signed a three-year, $21 million free agent contract with Miami over the winter.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)