Jun 1, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals placed infielder Danny Valencia on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a wrist injury and recalled third baseman Mike Moustakas from Triple-A Omaha in a corresponding roster move.
Moustakas was demoted to Omaha on May 22 after batting just .152/.223/.320 over his first 139 plate appearances for Kansas City. He showed signs of promise on the farm — hitting .355/.412/.548 with a homer and five RBI in 34 plate appearances — but high-level minor league performance is nothing new for the former No. 2 overall pick. Moustakas, who will turn 26 years old in September, batted .322/.369/.630 with 36 home runs and 124 RBI in 2010 between Double-A and Triple-A, and was rated a Top 10 prospect by both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America heading into the 2011 campaign.
Now it’s about translating that success to the majors. The journey continues.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 114
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (115)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (78)