Jun 1, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals placed infielder Danny Valencia on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a wrist injury and recalled third baseman Mike Moustakas from Triple-A Omaha in a corresponding roster move.
Moustakas was demoted to Omaha on May 22 after batting just .152/.223/.320 over his first 139 plate appearances for Kansas City. He showed signs of promise on the farm — hitting .355/.412/.548 with a homer and five RBI in 34 plate appearances — but high-level minor league performance is nothing new for the former No. 2 overall pick. Moustakas, who will turn 26 years old in September, batted .322/.369/.630 with 36 home runs and 124 RBI in 2010 between Double-A and Triple-A, and was rated a Top 10 prospect by both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America heading into the 2011 campaign.
Now it’s about translating that success to the majors. The journey continues.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 0
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)