Jun 1, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals placed infielder Danny Valencia on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a wrist injury and recalled third baseman Mike Moustakas from Triple-A Omaha in a corresponding roster move.
Moustakas was demoted to Omaha on May 22 after batting just .152/.223/.320 over his first 139 plate appearances for Kansas City. He showed signs of promise on the farm — hitting .355/.412/.548 with a homer and five RBI in 34 plate appearances — but high-level minor league performance is nothing new for the former No. 2 overall pick. Moustakas, who will turn 26 years old in September, batted .322/.369/.630 with 36 home runs and 124 RBI in 2010 between Double-A and Triple-A, and was rated a Top 10 prospect by both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America heading into the 2011 campaign.
Now it’s about translating that success to the majors. The journey continues.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (186)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)