Jun 1, 2014, 10:59 AM EST
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals placed infielder Danny Valencia on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a wrist injury and recalled third baseman Mike Moustakas from Triple-A Omaha in a corresponding roster move.
Moustakas was demoted to Omaha on May 22 after batting just .152/.223/.320 over his first 139 plate appearances for Kansas City. He showed signs of promise on the farm — hitting .355/.412/.548 with a homer and five RBI in 34 plate appearances — but high-level minor league performance is nothing new for the former No. 2 overall pick. Moustakas, who will turn 26 years old in September, batted .322/.369/.630 with 36 home runs and 124 RBI in 2010 between Double-A and Triple-A, and was rated a Top 10 prospect by both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America heading into the 2011 campaign.
Now it’s about translating that success to the majors. The journey continues.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15