Jun 1, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Orioles’ fans hearts jumped into their throats in the top of the third inning on Sunday afternoon when Astros starter Scott Feldman drilled Nelson Cruz in the left hand with a fastball. Cruz was in some very obvious initial pain, but stayed in the game to run the bases. He was taken out when the inning ended with David Lough moving from left to right field and Delmon Young entering the game in left field.
Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that x-rays came up negative for Cruz, which should allow Baltimore residents to breathe a great sigh of relief. The Orioles are listing Cruz as day-to-day with a left hand contusion. The Orioles have an off-day on Monday and open up a three-game series on the road against the Rangers on Tuesday. Cruz says he will see how he feels on Monday to determine if he can play on Tuesday.
Cruz is the major league leader in home runs and RBI with 20 and 52, respectively. He is slashing .314/.384/.672.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 0
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)