Jun 1, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Orioles’ fans hearts jumped into their throats in the top of the third inning on Sunday afternoon when Astros starter Scott Feldman drilled Nelson Cruz in the left hand with a fastball. Cruz was in some very obvious initial pain, but stayed in the game to run the bases. He was taken out when the inning ended with David Lough moving from left to right field and Delmon Young entering the game in left field.
Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that x-rays came up negative for Cruz, which should allow Baltimore residents to breathe a great sigh of relief. The Orioles are listing Cruz as day-to-day with a left hand contusion. The Orioles have an off-day on Monday and open up a three-game series on the road against the Rangers on Tuesday. Cruz says he will see how he feels on Monday to determine if he can play on Tuesday.
Cruz is the major league leader in home runs and RBI with 20 and 52, respectively. He is slashing .314/.384/.672.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)