Jun 1, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
As first reported late Saturday night by WEEI’s Alex Speier, the Red Sox have promoted infield prospect Garin Cecchini from their Triple-A club in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Alex Wilson was then optioned to Pawtucket in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Cecchini is not in the Red Sox starting lineup on Sunday and will probably be sent back to the minors when Stephen Drew is activated later this week.
The 23-year-old hit .322/.443/.471 with seven home runs and 23 stolen bases in 129 games last season between High-A Salem and Double-A Portland. He’s struggled this year in his first taste of Triple-A, but the third baseman was rated a Top 75 prospect this past offseason by MLB.com, Baseball America, and Baseball Prospectus.
Cecchini’s last name, for those curious, is pronounced chick-KEE-nee.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)