Jun 1, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
As first reported late Saturday night by WEEI’s Alex Speier, the Red Sox have promoted infield prospect Garin Cecchini from their Triple-A club in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Alex Wilson was then optioned to Pawtucket in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Cecchini is not in the Red Sox starting lineup on Sunday and will probably be sent back to the minors when Stephen Drew is activated later this week.
The 23-year-old hit .322/.443/.471 with seven home runs and 23 stolen bases in 129 games last season between High-A Salem and Double-A Portland. He’s struggled this year in his first taste of Triple-A, but the third baseman was rated a Top 75 prospect this past offseason by MLB.com, Baseball America, and Baseball Prospectus.
Cecchini’s last name, for those curious, is pronounced chick-KEE-nee.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)