Jun 1, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
As first reported late Saturday night by WEEI’s Alex Speier, the Red Sox have promoted infield prospect Garin Cecchini from their Triple-A club in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Alex Wilson was then optioned to Pawtucket in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Cecchini is not in the Red Sox starting lineup on Sunday and will probably be sent back to the minors when Stephen Drew is activated later this week.
The 23-year-old hit .322/.443/.471 with seven home runs and 23 stolen bases in 129 games last season between High-A Salem and Double-A Portland. He’s struggled this year in his first taste of Triple-A, but the third baseman was rated a Top 75 prospect this past offseason by MLB.com, Baseball America, and Baseball Prospectus.
Cecchini’s last name, for those curious, is pronounced chick-KEE-nee.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)