Jun 1, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Stephen Drew will soon make his 2014 debut as the Red Sox have recalled him from Triple-A Pawtucket. Drew, who signed a prorated one-year, $14.1 million deal with the Sox on May 20, entered Sunday with a hit and a walk in 11 minor league plate appearances and went 1-for-3 today. He will take over at shortstop with Xander Bogaerts sliding over to third base. The Red Sox open up a three-game road series against the Indians on Monday.
The hot-hitting Brock Holt was faced with a playing time reduction, but the Sox placed Mike Carp on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured right foot. Holt will get some time over at first base until Mike Napoli is ready to return from his sprained left ring finger.
The Sox also optioned Garin Cecchini back to Triple-A Pawtucket after he made his major league debut on Sunday against the Rays, going 1-for-2 with an RBI double.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)