Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Jun 1, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT

rubby de la rosa getty Getty Images

The defending World Series-champion Red Sox have been on a roll since snapping their embarrassing losing streak at 10 games Monday in Atlanta.

And the good times continued on Saturday night.

Rubby De La Rosa fanned eight batters and yielded just four hits over seven shutout innings and 25-year-old utility infielder Brock Holt hit his first big league home run as the Red Sox routed the Rays 7-1 in front of an enthusiastic crowd at Fenway Park. It was De La Rosa’s first start in nearly three years, and now he might stay in the rotation for a little while.

According to Evan Snyder of CBS Sports’ Eye on Baseball, twice in major league history has a team that lost 10 consecutive games still managed to advance to the postseason — the 1982 Braves did it, and so did the 1951 Giants.

Boston (26-29) is currently six games back of Toronto in the American League East standings.

The box scores and recaps from Saturday:

Rangers 2, Nationals 10

Twins 1, Yankees 3

Royals 2, Blue Jays 12

Padres 4, White Sox 2

Giants 0, Cardinals 2

Rockies 6, Indians 7

Mets 5, Phillies 4 (14 innings)

Cubs 8, Brewers 0

Orioles 4, Astros 1

Braves 9, Marlins 5

Rays 1, Red Sox 7

Pirates 2, Dodgers 12

Angels 3, Athletics 11

Tigers 2, Mariners 3

Reds 5, Diamondbacks 0

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2014 at 9:08 AM

During yesterday’s Royals and Jays game, 4 batters were hit by pitches. In the first inning, Brooks hit both Melky and Lawrie. In the top of the 7th, Redmond hit Aoki. Finally, in the bottom of the 7th, Tiny Tim hit Big Juan in the helmet with a slow curve. During the game, there were no confrontations, no words issued in anger, no threats, no questioning of anyone’s manhood and no ejections. The players who were hit moved to first base and the game went on. It was a sharp contrast from the Boston / Tampa Bay game on Friday.

• nbjays - Jun 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM

And the Jays scored 12 runs without a single homer. Go figure.

• groupofsevenrules - Jun 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Teams that try to get ahead on power alone don’t generally get very far for very long. I thought it was gratifying to see the Jays take bases, single and double their way to the win. I’m relieved that they haven’t gotten into the habit of laying back and waiting to take the big swing. If they do that, they’re going to get nibbled to death by smarter lineups.

• cur'68 - Jun 1, 2014 at 9:56 AM

S’up, PC? Healing up ok? Bipedal again and stuff?

As for the game, I felt for that young fella called up to face Our Boys. That’s not a lineup you want to see if you don’t have your best stuff and the kid clearly didn’t. On the flip side, our young pitcher showed a wicked slider and come-back fast ball that baffled The Royals. Given a lead, Stroman was en fuego.

Good points about The Beaver Boys playing ball and taking their bases when hit by pitches. The Royals, too. In The Battle of the Cellar Dwellers between The Rays/Red Sox, I don’t see what those two clubs to gain by playing bean ball all game and into other games. You’d think they’d get on with trying to win some ball games and give over with childish posturing. The whole thing was nothing but an embarrassment for both clubs. If you want to show up another club then beat them repeatedly and give over with hitting people with baseballs.

• Reflex - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Nice to see you are still around, I and others were wondering where you disappeared to.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:41 AM

The ankle is healing well. It is still swollen, but looked much better this morning. I have been bipedal for a couple of weeks.

• cur'68 - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Excellent news. I hope things continue to heal well.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Me too, and many thanks.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM

The beaver hunt must be going slowly with that reconstructed pod of yours. This too shall pass.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM

My friend the way I see it the big difference when it come to that sort of stuff between the Jays and the Red Sox. Is the Jays play the game, the Red Sox play games within the game. If you get my point. Good luck today with the Royals.

• nbjays - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Obviously too many unwritten rules in the Red Sox play book.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:32 AM

@ nbjays, the main unwritten rule I’ve been able to observe in the Red Sox play book is, it’s OK for their pitchers to throw at and hit opposing teams players but when the show is on the other foot they have a problem with that.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:48 AM

correction: “shoe” is on the other foot.

2. renaado - Jun 1, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Awesome to see Kimbrel’s 154th save today which tied Smoltz saves franchise record with the Braves, new comer Shae Simmons definitely got the job in relief done strikin out Salty in the 8th in a one run game. Keep those wins comin in.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Striking out Salty is not much of an achievement these days. The guy has been swinging a whiffle bat for five weeks now, and flight 370 took longer to go down than his average. But Salty’s offensive futility was of minimum importance compared to the Punch-and-Judy performances the Feesh put on yesterday, fielding blunders and miscues much worse than what showed up in the box score. They played like they all went out to Little Haiti for a lambi dinner last night and came back with a collective case of chikungunya. Jacob Turner didn’t pitch nearly as badly as the line score would indicate – he just didn’t have anyone playing behind him who seemed to be aware that there were baseballs being hit in their directions.

It’s those gossamer reality waves being exerted by the strange attractor, which is humming and pulsing gleefully as it draws its children home….

• renaado - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Yeah that’s true though, but it certainly is a nice achievement for the new rookie Shae stikin Salty durin that time, I bet he was pretty nervous out there gettin that call in the 8th.

• Reflex - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Gator – The flight 370 reference is a bit soon. One of my closest friends lost two co-workers on that one.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Point taken, though it has entered aviation mythology already.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Point taken, though it has entered aviation mythology already.

• groupofsevenrules - Jun 1, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I can see both of your points. I don’t think Gator was dissing the victims by invoking that incident, but rather the weirdness of how whatever happened happened. As he put it, it has entered folklore because of how strangely the whole episode went down. I think it’s already being referenced in some ways just as the Titanic is. I also seem to recall that Gator mentioned on a few occasions that he is or was a pilot himself, and I know some other pilots too. They all have dark fatalistic senses of humor. I guess it goes with the job, or activity, or whatever. I personally wouldn’t have mentioned it but I don’t think OG was out to slight anyone’s feelings.

• Reflex - Jun 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I know he wasn’t, and I wasn’t upset, just surprised. It does seem too soon though, at least to me given that I know someone who is dealing with the effects.

• Old Gator - Jun 1, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Reflex: I appreciate your forbearance even as I appreciate Seven’s defense but I’ll think twice about stuff like that in the future. I really do wish we had a damned edit feature in this prehistoric software muddle someplace so I could modify it.

3. uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I read on one of the Yankees blog after yesterday’s game a comment that said “it’s a shame Tanaka can’t pitch every day”. I concur wholeheartedly. Maybe it’s just my Yankee bias but at this stage of the season he has to be considered one of the top 3 starters in the American League.

• nbjays - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Undoubtedly top 3, Uyf. Unfortunately, the rest of the rotation has to take their turns starting, and therein lies the problem.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:24 AM

My friend a problem that I hope the Yankees rectify by the trade deadline if not sooner. I would love for them to make a trade for Jason Hammel of the Cubs. He’ll come a lot cheaper than Samardzija who by the way I think will wind up burning whichever team does trade for him. I really think this year is an anomaly in Samardzija’s case. But we’ll see.

• ptfu - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Wouldn’t surprise me if Samardzija cools off a bit. Still, he’s pitched pretty decently the last two years, and I see no reason he can’t contribute to whoever trades for him.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM

@ptfu, I think it’s what you consider “pretty decently”. In 2013 his walks were up from 2012 and his K’s down slightly. His ERA jumped to 4.34 from 3.81 in 2012 and his ERA+ was only 91. I guess I would agree that that’s probably “decently”. But I don’t think had the Cubs traded him at the end of the 2013 season we would be talking about the “bounty of players” the Cubs might get via a trade.

• renaado - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Durability is indeed one of Tanaka’s greatest attributes. However doin “that” can destroy his arm and that “HUGE” contract.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Actually I think his greatest asset/attribute is his ability to stay focused. Nothing seems to get to him when he’s on the mound. And in my opinion that’s what separates the good pitchers from the great pitchers. A good arm doesn’t hurt and 7.3 SO/W ratio doesn’t hurt either.

• Reflex - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Personally I’m partial to his greatest asset being his ability to throw strikes while missing bats. But that’s just me I guess…

• renaado - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Tenacity, focus, determination to win, pride, stivin to improve much more and workin steadfast. You name it, Tanaka is indeed a rare breed of player we’ve seen nowadays. Definitely a gifted athlete he truly is, all people of Japan young or old rich or poor watches every single one of his games and he’s certainly one of the inspiring role models for young athletes there.

4. happytwinsfan - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Yankee stadium is home to another interesting pitching effort today, the return of the Resurgent Hughes. Being conditioned the last several years to expect early summer collapses, I would prefer that his spot not come up in this series and that he face the Yankees in the fly ball friendly Hubert H Humphrey Metro No Dome. However, should he bring the Yankee partisans to silent in game questioning of their front office and pitching coaches (which would be unjustified but that sort of thing usually is) and enable the Twins to win a series in New York for the first time in about 312 years, I will take that as a sign of a new dawn, at least until the next losing streak.

• uyf1950 - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I think you will find that many Yankees fans believed Hughes just needed a change of scenery and that he would be successful once that occurred. Much the same as what happened with A.J. Burnett. Yankees Stadium was probably the worse stadium for him to pitch in. A fly ball right handed pitcher in a very hitter friendly park with a short right field is a receipt for disaster. Add that the Yankees and fans had such high expectations for him based on his minor league career and he was in a no win situation with the Yankees. I wish him much success (except today).

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I am about to go out for a couple of hours, so I want to take this opportunity to thank both the Twins and David Robertson.

• happytwinsfan - Jun 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM

You’re very welcome. Aren’t you glad that Hughes didn’t “remember who he is”.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I’m glad, so glad, so glad.

5. aceshigh11 - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Lose 10 in a row…win 6 in a row.

WTF is going on??

6. scatterbrian - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM

In other news, Yoenis Cespedes had an OK evening. Doubled and scored, hit a two-run, go-ahead triple in the bottom of the 7th, and provided insurance with a three-run homer in the 8th. Oh, and he nailed two runners at home in the top of the 2nd.

• APBA Guy - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM

That about sums it up Brian :)

Heckuva night in front of a sold-out Mausoleum, a designation that I learned originated-or was popularized-by Captain Sal Bando. Very apt.

• scatterbrian - Jun 1, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Ha! I always just assumed that was Bill King’s.

• clydeserra - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM

(didn;t double and score, it was the first hit and moved donaldson the third where he scored on a sac fly)

7. johnnysoda - Jun 1, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Had to work this morning, so here it is, albeit very late:

And That Happened: Saturday Edition

Mets 5, Phillies 4- A few notable offensive moments here: Ryan Howard had his 1,000th career RBI, Ruben Tejada hit a home run for the first time in almost two years, and David Wright had the walk-off single in the 14th. The Mets have taken the first two of a five-game set and would clinch a series win with a victory tomorrow.

Cardinals 2, Giants 0- The much-heralded Oscar Taveras finally makes his MLB debut and hits his first home run in the fifth. To show you how far he has come, two years ago, Taveras appeared in a spring training game for the Cards, and was listed as “Minor League Guy” in a television graphic. That would be hilarious by itself, but the fact that that guy proved to be a star minor leaguer and a guy with a bright MLB future makes it even better.

Indians 7, Rockies 6- Colorado rallied in the seventh thanks to home runs by Corey Dickerson and Charlie Blackmon, but the Indians had the last laugh. The Rockies have lost six out of their last eight as the clock appears to have struck midnight.

Blue Jays 12, Royals 2- After losing the first two games of this series, Toronto scored seven in the first inning to put any doubt about this one to rest. The Blue Jays will enter June up in the AL East by 2 ½ games. I would be rooting for them, but they are in the same division as my Yankees, which means that I can’t really pull for them. It’s not unlike the Orioles two years ago.

Orioles 4, Astros 1- Speaking of the Orioles, they snap Houston’s seven game winning streak, helped by two bases loaded walks and Nelson Cruz’ 20th home run. And that’s a good thing, because if the Astros had won eight straight, I’m not sure what would’ve happened with the universe. Maybe food would start eating people, or horses would get on people’s backs and ride them. The whole planet would be in chaos.

Nationals 10, Rangers 2- Four hits by Anthony Rendon led the offensive charge for the Nationals. Both teams finish May with a lukewarm .500 record.

Yankees 3, Twins 1- Masahiro Tanaka did what Masahiro Tanaka does, which is pitch well and get the win. Yangervis Solarte homered and Brian McCann had the go-ahead double in the eighth.

Padres 4, White Sox 2- If not for the interleague novelty factor, this game would go down as one of the more milquetoast in recent memory. By the way, I was attempting to explain to some of my friends yesterday what the word “milquetoast” meant, but none of them got it. Maybe because I was having a hard time pronouncing “milquetoast”.

Braves 9, Marlins 5- Two straight for the Braves coming off a tough sweep at the hands of the Red Sox. The usual suspects- Freddie Freeman, Justin Upton, and Jason Heyward- did some damage early, and the rest of the guys tacked on three in the ninth for good measure.

Cubs 8, Brewers 0- Jason Hammel threw seven shutout innings, even though he didn’t really need to. It’s still nice to get all that support, I suppose.

Dodgers 12, Pirates 2- Huge night for Hanley Ramirez: four hits, four runs, five RBI, and a home run. A performance like that should earn him the Bass Pro Shops Line of the Day on MLB Network’s Quick Pitch this morning. A guy who will not contend for that is Brandon Cumpton (3 2/3 IP, 11 H, 10 ER, 2 BB, 2 K).

Red Sox 7, Rays 1- Brock Holt hits his first big-league home run, while Jackie Bradley hits his first of the season. I’m telling you, if I ever caught a guy’s first home run, I would try to find a way to give it to him, because I can’t help but wonder if they feel any sadness knowing that they’ll never get to hold their first home run ball. Sigh.

Athletics 11, Angels 3- The Angels held a 3-1 lead going into the seventh before Oakland got serious. Yoenis Cespedes had five RBI and was a single short of the cycle.

Mariners 3, Tigers 2- Willie Bloomquist’s two RBI were the difference as the Mariners turn Sunday’s contest into the rubber match.

Reds 5, Diamondbacks 0- 7 1/3 shutout innings for Johnny Cueto were backed by five Cincinnati runs. The Reds take the first two while the Diamondbacks end May with a much-improved winning percentage of .397.

• Reflex - Jun 1, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Work is for the weak. This is the higher priority.

8. moogro - Jun 1, 2014 at 4:03 PM

The Rendon snag at third was tasty.

Three legends off to Cooperstown