Jun 1, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
The Rays made the announcement on their team Twitter feed Sunday morning …
— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) June 1, 2014
Myers suffered the injury Friday night at Fenway Park in an ugly outfield collision with teammate Desmond Jennings. Myers went airborne over Jennings, then crashed hard onto his back and right arm.
This comes with rough timing for the last-place Rays, who have dropped five consecutive games.
Myers was batting just .227/.313/.354 with five home runs and 25 RBI in 53 games this season. He won American League Rookie of the Year honors in 2013 after hitting .293/.354/.478 across 88 games.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)