College team pulls off the old hidden ball trick

Jun 2, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

I love this. I’ve seen it a handful of times in my life, but when I do, I love it all over again.

The perpetrators: Florida. The victim: College of Charleston. The method: the pitcher pretending to tie his shoe.

He actually almost looks safe, but the umpire seemed to excited to get to call an out on the hidden ball trick that I suppose he can be forgiven if he got it wrong.

1. brentoage - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Dick move. Love it.

2. mvp43 - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Love it!

Doesn’t this break some unwritten rule somewhere?

• stoutfiles - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Depends how the pitcher normally winds up. The pitcher does a weird stretch that may be similar to how he normally pitches. According to the rules you may not make any movement naturally associated with your pitch.

Other than that it looks clean; the pitcher stays off the mound which is key. I’m also assuming this came right after a hit so the ball would still be in play.

• cogitobaseballergosum - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM

As long as the pitcher is not on the pitcher’s rubber, he can make any movement he likes. It’s only after stepping onto the rubber that his movements are restricted.

• notsofast10 - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I believe the pitcher is not even allowed to be on the mound at all, can’t be on the dirt, much less the rubber.

3. RickyB - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Florida got its come-uppance by losing the game and getting eliminated the next day, even though it was the number 2 overall seed.

4. chinahand11 - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Love that play. That guy who got picked off, he’ll never forget it.

5. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM

From this angle it does not appear the runner ever left the bag, but I guess we’ll go with it.

It’s better than playing the “I’ll throw the ball high in the air and see if you can steal the next base before I catch it because I blew out my arm by slipping on a ball while running out to the mound while using my Mom’s old softball glove” trick.

• jm91rs - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:27 PM

How Dare You! Henry Rowengartner was a hero of mine. How dare you slander his name by failing to recognize the genius of that his play during that one inning when his arm went out.

6. danielcp0303 - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM

My uncle did this to me at a 4th of July family gathering when I was about 8. Was my first time actually playing baseball. Jerk

• blabidibla - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Bet you never fell for it again. Thank you uncle for that.

7. grumpyoleman - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Can’t forgive, must have replay review.

8. greymares - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Of course Craig likes it he’s a gimmick guy. He likes this garbage but a knock down pitch is a no no.

9. Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 2, 2014 at 5:40 PM

But what message does this tell the children?!?!? What about the CHILDREN, CRAIG-E-POO?

I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them call the hidden ball trick? I think not. Damn Republicrats.

10. drs76109 - Jun 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Foot was on the side of the bag. Umpire probably blocked from the angle. He was actually safe.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2647)