Jun 2, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and outfielder Andre Ethier got into what Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times described as “a heated dugout argument” during Saturday’s game, but a day later both parties downplayed the incident.
Here’s the manager:
The greatest thing is when you have guys like Andre, he can voice his opinion, I can voice mine and the next day we’re both adults and talking and no problems. It’s really, in a sense, family. You’re able to argue at home back and forth but at the end of the day, you love your kids. To me, I look at it like that–just family. You discuss something or it gets a little heated at that moment, at the end of the day we’re family.
And to prove that point, Dilbeck noted that Mattingly and Ethier “were in the team gym riding exercise bikes next to each other” Sunday morning, as if nothing happened.
The whole thing stemmed from Ethier not wanting to be removed from a 12-2 game, so (assuming that’s the full story) it was hardly a huge deal to begin with, but on-camera drama is always interesting.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)