Jun 2, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and outfielder Andre Ethier got into what Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times described as “a heated dugout argument” during Saturday’s game, but a day later both parties downplayed the incident.
Here’s the manager:
The greatest thing is when you have guys like Andre, he can voice his opinion, I can voice mine and the next day we’re both adults and talking and no problems. It’s really, in a sense, family. You’re able to argue at home back and forth but at the end of the day, you love your kids. To me, I look at it like that–just family. You discuss something or it gets a little heated at that moment, at the end of the day we’re family.
And to prove that point, Dilbeck noted that Mattingly and Ethier “were in the team gym riding exercise bikes next to each other” Sunday morning, as if nothing happened.
The whole thing stemmed from Ethier not wanting to be removed from a 12-2 game, so (assuming that’s the full story) it was hardly a huge deal to begin with, but on-camera drama is always interesting.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 39
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 11
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 29
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)