Jun 2, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Johan Santana had the ability to opt out of his contract with the Orioles at midnight tonight, but the team has convinced him to stick around.
The Orioles announced this evening that they have purchased Santana’s contract from Triple-A Norfolk and placed him on the 15-day disabled list. This means that he is officially on the team’s 40-man roster.
Reports about Santana have been positive in extended spring training, with his velocity reaching the high-80s. Orioles manager Buck Showalter told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun last week that he was hoping the 35-year-old southpaw would be ready to join the team’s rotation by June 18 or 19. Santana obviously still has some hurdles to cross, but it would be quite an accomplishment to make it back to the majors after his second major shoulder surgery.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)