Nelson Cruz passes David Ortiz in the DH All-Star vote

Jun 2, 2014, 1:30 PM EST

The latest update in the American League All-Star balloting is in and there are a couple of changes. Robinson Cano has passed Ian Kinsler at second base. And, in a development which is sure to cause some to clutch for their pearls and grope for their fainting couches, Nelson Cruz has passed David Ortiz at DH.

Note: anyone who portrays this as a shameful development without noting that Mr. Ortiz’s record is not exactly spotless when it comes to PEDs is disqualified from our game. If you are worried about being able to navigate that thicket you can do the simplest thing and simply not care one iota. Plus, it has more going for it than mere simplicity: it’s hypocrisy free!

Either way, both Ortiz and Cruz paid the price for their PED transgressions. In Ortiz’s case it was nothing because the survey testing in 2003 did not have punishment attached per the rules. In Cruz’s case it was 50 games, which he served. Both should be allowed to go on with this crap in their rear-view mirror.

Your results:

source:

source:

source:

source:

source:

1. tfbuckfutter - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:34 PM

* (x 888,885)

• raysfan1 - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM

* (x766,631)

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM

That doesn’t add up.

• raysfan1 - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Sure it does. Both Cruz and Ortiz have been linked to PED use. Both are also still eligible to play. Neither should have a silly asterisk by their vote totals nor stats. However, if you want one for Cruz, then Ortiz gets one too.

• moogro - Jun 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Didn’t Cruz get busted for PED use and serve a suspension? I forgot about that. He should be shamed forever. I better go back and change my 243 online votes. That’ll show MLB I mean business.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM

@tbuck: I love how you’ve put an asterisk-themed response on several Cruz-related articles, with references to Ortiz, but fail to hold David to the same standard as Nelson.

Oh well. I guess it has internal consistency if not logical consistency.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Read 18thstreet’s comments below about David.

That’s why I don’t troll posts about players who haven’t definitively cheated. He hasn’t admitted it, he hasn’t failed a non-”anonymous” test, and he hasn’t been linked to any scandals.

Believe me, if he is I will make jokes about it. But when the only stance on the subject is that he failed an anonymous test and he claims he doesn’t know why, I have nothing to make fun of. 10 years of passed drug tests….*shrug*

2. 18thstreet - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Lots of pent-up love for Carlos Beltran, huh?

3. Kevin Gillman - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Michael Brantley is finally in top 10, and now past Rajaj Davis.

• El Bravo - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I smoked a rajaj once. Blows the mind, mannn.

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I need to be more open minded…LOL

4. shaggylocks - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I never understood why people blindly accepted the leaked names from the 2003 survey as fact. They’re completely unconfirmed, they were leaked anonymously, and the data doesn’t exist anymore to confirm or disprove the allegations. But, PEDs! Cheaters! Arggle barggle grrrrr!!!!!

• sophiethegreatdane - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I’m still eagerly awaiting the full report from the David Ortiz Official Investigation Into How This Got Out. I hear the council should be releasing their findings any day now.

• shaggylocks - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Yes, because the burden of proof always rests with the accused. Guilty until proven otherwise.

• mornelithe - Jun 2, 2014 at 9:30 PM

They also never told him what he tested positive for, so it could’ve been anything on a banned list, or something that caused a false positive, which happens. Not saying Ortiz is innocent or guilty, but the actual proof set against him is thin, especially since we’ve seen or heard nothing on another failed test in 11 years.

5. sdelmonte - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Don’t forget Melky!

I would say it was my bad in both of them doing well since I voted yesterday, but clearly I am not alone.

6. mornelithe - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM

No biggie, I’m sure Ortiz is happy with WS MVP and the WS Ring. Cruz can have the popularity contest :)

• El Bravo - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM

*rings

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I don’t know, anything negative about Papi, dude gets a bit salty.

• mornelithe - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM

True ’nuff, but I doubt this is that big a deal to him. It’s not like Cruz is a weakling, anyway heh.

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:37 PM

You might be right, but after this weekend with the hooplah between he and Price, it might not be good timing for him. But he’ll probably make the All-Star game team anyway.

• mornelithe - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I still don’t think the ASG means that much to him (maybe his first 5, but this will be his 10th). If I were him, I’d simply laugh at the Price issue from now on. Jealousy is a stinky cologne. Can’t believe Price held onto that for the entire off-season, seriously, that does kind of make him a b**ch. *chuckle*

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:35 PM

See, I don’t think it had anything to do with 2013, but rather what happened the previous weekend, when Gomes sucker pushed Escobar, after Escobar stole 3rd base with a 5-run lead. Sox were on a major losing streak, and they couldn’t handle being showed by the Rays. Sorry man, I am on the Rays side with this one. It’s just a part of baseball.

• mornelithe - Jun 2, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I really don’t think that was the reason, if they were that upset, hitting Ortiz is transferring their aggression onto someone who wasn’t responsible. Revenge…is usually served to that person…ya know?

Either way, Rays hit 3 people, Sox had 4 managers ejected, and the Rays still lost. Great idea, really helped their position in the AL East too.

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I don’t know either way, it’s done with. I guess Sunday’s game was a bit interesting right? But like you said, Sox won.

7. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Interesting to see Wieters remain on the top of the list, even though he’s been out for a while at this point. I understood the early bump, but with the long injury, and now him out for minimum another month, maximum a year, it’ll be interesting to see if he ends up winning the race. Possibly it’s because there are so few house hold names at catcher these days?

8. erbaodai - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Still no love for Encarnacion?

• nbjays - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Inexplicably, Edwin is on the list as a DH, despite playing 47 games at 1B and only 11 as a DH.

9. jdvalk - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Ortiz paid the price… how exactly?

• 18thstreet - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I think his career earnings have probably taken a hit. (Yes, he’s still fabulously wealthy.) Look at all the players who have gotten 6 year, $100 million deals — Ortiz never came close to that.

I think the main way he’s taken a hit is that many (most?) non-Boston partisans can’t let a Papi post go by without making a reference to the steroids. If not for that one rumored failed test, he’d probably have a lot more in national endorsements. But it’s all hypothetical. The price, if it exists at all, has been pretty minor. And Red Sox Nation still loves the guy. Presumably (I hope) he’ll have a job as a roving hitting instructor as long as he wants one, after retirement.

Not that anyone asked, but do I believe Ortiz used PEDs of some sort? Yeah. But I believe half of baseball — at least — does. And other than Clemens, who I hate for entirely different reasons, I don’t hold it against any of them.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:09 PM

There was no price to be paid per the rules of MLB at the time and the specific rules of the survey testing. That’s the point. Those wishing players to “pay a price” above and beyond the official penalties in play are walking into the magical land of subjective moral judgment.

10. clydeserra - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I am shocked about Josh Donaldson. Its deserved, but I did not expect him to be so out in front.

11. nbjays - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:59 PM

When informed that Cruz was ahead of him in the DH All-Star vote, Ortiz responded that “It’s a war… it’s on!” No word on whether he felt Cruz hit those 20 home runs like a “little girl and a b*tch”, though.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Did he follow it up by smashing up a clubhouse phone?

12. playball - Jun 2, 2014 at 5:13 PM

How about an All-Star Utility Player? Those guys are the ones that can make a difference in a game, too. Thinking a day/night or extra-innings when the guys need a rest or when someone gets hurt. The Nick Punto Award carries a great deal of value and those guys made the roster, too.

Just a thought.

13. thomas844 - Jun 2, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Why do I see Josh Hamilton’s name?

14. mikhelb - Jun 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I do not get why Ortiz’s fans keep saying he did not fail a test when there are videos of David saying he knows he failed a test and was notified of the positive test by MLBPA. And sure, he passed numerous drug tests in the past 10 years but so did MLB’s poster boy of PEDs Alex Rodríguez (and he failed the same 2003 “anonymous test” Ortíz and Manny failed, and not a single one after then).

I guess in Rodríguez’s case is that his name has been linked to steroid dealers, but most Ortiz’s fans do not make a fuss of Ortiz working closely with a steroid peddler banned by MLB who trains David and others who have been in MLB’s target for training with the same guy in the DR.

I guess I lose in the game of “please do not talk about obvious things that I do not want to talk about because I do not know how to respond”, otherwise known as “do not say bad things about PED users”.

15. chip56 - Jun 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for people to realize that it’s ok for people to be passionate on both sides of this issue. For every person who feels like Craig does, there’s a person who disagrees with him and that’s totally ok.

Also, since you’re able to vote for the All-Star game as often as you want this really reflects nothing about the general population’s views on PED use.

16. titansbro - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I say let them all use PEDs. I love PEDs. I mean, why would anyone be against enhanced performance? I use a PED called caffeine everyday.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (3976)