Jun 2, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
With the First-Year Player Draft coming up on Thursday, we should probably prepare ourselves for a lot of Kendrys Morales coverage this week. After we heard earlier today that the Yankees are “believed to have reached out to” Morales, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman now reports that the Royals are “weighing a run” at him.
It makes sense in theory, as the Royals are really struggling for offense. But they’d need to clear money to sign him. And while we heard rumors over the winter about the club shopping Billy Butler, teams could be hesitant to deal for him (and pay him the $6 million left on his contract for this year and either a $1 million buyout or $12.5 million club option for next year) considering that he’s batting just .241 with one home run and .609 OPS in 56 games this season.
So, basically, the Royals would have to deal someone like Butler and possibly outbid the Yankees to sign Morales. Crazier things have happened, but it sounds unlikely.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)