Jun 2, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
With the First-Year Player Draft coming up on Thursday, we should probably prepare ourselves for a lot of Kendrys Morales coverage this week. After we heard earlier today that the Yankees are “believed to have reached out to” Morales, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman now reports that the Royals are “weighing a run” at him.
It makes sense in theory, as the Royals are really struggling for offense. But they’d need to clear money to sign him. And while we heard rumors over the winter about the club shopping Billy Butler, teams could be hesitant to deal for him (and pay him the $6 million left on his contract for this year and either a $1 million buyout or $12.5 million club option for next year) considering that he’s batting just .241 with one home run and .609 OPS in 56 games this season.
So, basically, the Royals would have to deal someone like Butler and possibly outbid the Yankees to sign Morales. Crazier things have happened, but it sounds unlikely.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)