Jun 2, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
With the First-Year Player Draft coming up on Thursday, we should probably prepare ourselves for a lot of Kendrys Morales coverage this week. After we heard earlier today that the Yankees are “believed to have reached out to” Morales, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman now reports that the Royals are “weighing a run” at him.
It makes sense in theory, as the Royals are really struggling for offense. But they’d need to clear money to sign him. And while we heard rumors over the winter about the club shopping Billy Butler, teams could be hesitant to deal for him (and pay him the $6 million left on his contract for this year and either a $1 million buyout or $12.5 million club option for next year) considering that he’s batting just .241 with one home run and .609 OPS in 56 games this season.
So, basically, the Royals would have to deal someone like Butler and possibly outbid the Yankees to sign Morales. Crazier things have happened, but it sounds unlikely.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)