Jun 2, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
After sitting out the first two months of the season and then re-signing with Boston on a one-year, $10.1 million contract Stephen Drew is making his 2014 debut tonight, playing shortstop and batting eighth for the Red Sox.
Drew hit eighth for most of last season too, logging 236 of his 501 plate appearances there and getting twice as many starts there (60) as any other spot (28, batting seventh).
Xander Bogaerts, who had been the Red Sox’s everyday shortstop in Drew’s absence, is sliding over to third base, where he’s played just nine games in the majors and 10 games in the minors.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)