Jun 2, 2014, 3:50 PM EST
After sitting out the first two months of the season and then re-signing with Boston on a one-year, $10.1 million contract Stephen Drew is making his 2014 debut tonight, playing shortstop and batting eighth for the Red Sox.
Drew hit eighth for most of last season too, logging 236 of his 501 plate appearances there and getting twice as many starts there (60) as any other spot (28, batting seventh).
Xander Bogaerts, who had been the Red Sox’s everyday shortstop in Drew’s absence, is sliding over to third base, where he’s played just nine games in the majors and 10 games in the minors.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)