The Mets set a record for cheesesteak eating in Philadelphia

Jun 2, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT

Mets AP AP

Let’s face it, the Mets probably won’t make the playoffs this season. However, they can at least hang their hats on this little distinction. According to Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger, the team destroyed the one-day record for the number of cheesesteaks eaten in the visitors’ clubhouse in Philadelphia.

Yes, apparently they keep track of such things in Philly. They even have individual and team records for a single day or a series. As for the Mets, their amazing feat of eatery occurred on April 30 as the team was waiting out a rainout:

On April 30, over some ten hours, the Mets ate 103, they say, setting the new single-day team record. Though baseball may be a sequence of individualized events, this was the work of a collective. It was planned two cheesesteaks per person, or more for those that were willing to help out where other teammates could not eat their share.

By the time the Mets left for Denver, distended and at over-capacity, they were now record-holders, breaking the previous mark that stood somewhere in the 80s.

Before you ask, no, Vorkunov didn’t provide any evidence that Bartolo Colon played a significant part in setting the record. In fact, there’s more evidence to suggest that bullpen catchers Dave Racaniello and Eric Langill did most of the damage, as both have set individual records in the past. Anyway, that must have been a pleasant flight to Colorado.

1. eugenesaxe1 - Jun 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Hard to beat a good cheesesteak, but it doesn’t seem especially wise to be loading up like that when there might still be a game.

• hoopmatch - Jun 2, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Well, chicken and beer has already been done. So… cheesesteaks it is!

• scatterbrian - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Skip the bread and you’ll be OK.

2. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 2, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Honestly…I just crushed a Cheesesteak with Bacon and onions about 15 min ago and few things are better than that right there. I can’t say I’m food-addicted about anything…except for both cheesesteaks…and bacon. Mmmmmm.

If you can get a cheesesteak with BOTH exceptional bread like a hard Atlantic City italian roll, and exceptional quality of meat…it’s a recipe for momentary heaven.

3. musketmaniac - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:08 PM

greasy steak ums with liquid cheese. no thanks

• eugenesaxe1 - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM

That might be the recipe in your house. I rather doubt it’s the recipe in an MLB clubhouse.

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Yea, I can’t say I’m a big fan of overloading on greasy foods before a game. (And I’m a huge cheesesteak fan) Personally, I want just enough to keep my energy up and to keep my belly from aching, but not so much I feel slow afterwords. Also, greasy foods just make me feel disgusting when I try to sweat it out immediately. I’m honestly shocked management in this day and age would allow players to treat their bodies this way.

Second, I’m lost on the math here. 25 player roster, 2 cheesesteaks per person = 103 cheesesteaks. Huh?

• raynman49 - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM

It wasn’t just the players.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:15 PM

That’s what I get for not reading the linked article. My bad. I thought it was a record by the players, not anyone who happened to be in the visitors dugout. Seems like a bit of an arbitrary rule, but whatever works right!

5. greymares - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM

As i read this I’m recovering from open heart surgery having a triple bypass. I believe I’ve eaten my last cheesesteak lol.

• raysfan1 - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Best wishes for a full recovery.

6. musketmaniac - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM

no Eugene that’s the recipe of an original philly cheese steak. they may be famous but they’re cheaply made in slummy areas. if you want the real deal.

7. jre80 - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Philly cheesesteaks are way overrated. Big Philly from subway trumps Luke’s and Pats.

• sasquash20 - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Some places are overrated. But Johns Roast Pork makes an amazing cheese steak. No way the big Philly beats any good cheese steak joint

• scatterbrian - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:31 PM

If you’re even considering a cheesesteak from Subway, you’re doing it wrong.

8. danradin - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Meat the Mets

• raynman49 - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Grate the Mets. (cheese). Sorry.

• raynman49 - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Meat the Mets, Grate the Mets, step right up and beat the Mets. sorry again. Past my bed time.

9. johnnysoda - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:57 PM

You know, I misread this at first, and thought it was 103 cheesesteaks over the course of the series, to which I thought “pretty impressive, but it makes sense over two days”.

One day, however, is a combination of impressive and wrong.

10. tomwarns - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:57 PM

this explains why they looked so sluggish to start off May

11. rcj22001 - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Pilot- “We’re going to be making an unscheduled stop to repair the latrine.”

Headline- “Game delayed due to problems with the NY Mets team plane”

12. jre80 - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I was referring to the “famous” Tony Luke’s, Genos and Pats. Not every cheesesteak in philadelphia. I’m assuming the mets had Tony Luke’s since that ones in the ballpark.

13. moogro - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Velveeta and horsemeat?

14. babyfarkmcgeezax - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:56 PM

The best cheesesteaks in my opinion are not in Philly but just a little bit west at the great V&S Sandwiches in Reading, PA

15. Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2014 at 6:16 AM

That plane prolly had more old farts floating around in it when it touched down than that pool in the movie cocoon.

16. phillysoulfan - Jun 3, 2014 at 7:24 AM

That’s awesome

17. kalinedrive - Jun 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Jon Stewart Epic Rant Against Philadelphia and Philly Cheesesteaks

What kind of city takes the parts of the cow normal people throw away, fries it up on a hunk of bread, and before they can call it their signature dish asks “you want me to put wiz on that?” I’ll tell you, a city so f***ing dumb, it uses its art museum as exercise equipment. Yeah, you heard me. A city so famously sh***y no animal would deign to represent its baseball team, forcing it to go with this f***ed up Jim Henson reject looking piece of s***. And let me tell you something, you liberty bell worshiping f***s, what city is so insecure it has to put its name on cream cheese? Cream cheese, a dish that makes itself if you leave milk out. You dairy aisle Donald Trump mother f***ers. Ok, you made a topping for a bagel, what do you want, a Nobel prize?

18. bbk1000 - Jun 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I can just see the janitorial team, plungers and mops in hand, shaking their heads in disbelief, walking towards the visitor clubhouse….probably wearing hazmat suits……

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3082)