Jun 2, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Let’s face it, the Mets probably won’t make the playoffs this season. However, they can at least hang their hats on this little distinction. According to Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger, the team destroyed the one-day record for the number of cheesesteaks eaten in the visitors’ clubhouse in Philadelphia.
Yes, apparently they keep track of such things in Philly. They even have individual and team records for a single day or a series. As for the Mets, their amazing feat of eatery occurred on April 30 as the team was waiting out a rainout:
On April 30, over some ten hours, the Mets ate 103, they say, setting the new single-day team record. Though baseball may be a sequence of individualized events, this was the work of a collective. It was planned two cheesesteaks per person, or more for those that were willing to help out where other teammates could not eat their share.
By the time the Mets left for Denver, distended and at over-capacity, they were now record-holders, breaking the previous mark that stood somewhere in the 80s.
Before you ask, no, Vorkunov didn’t provide any evidence that Bartolo Colon played a significant part in setting the record. In fact, there’s more evidence to suggest that bullpen catchers Dave Racaniello and Eric Langill did most of the damage, as both have set individual records in the past. Anyway, that must have been a pleasant flight to Colorado.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)