Jun 2, 2014, 8:23 AM EST
If you’re not a big fan of replay you wanted no part of the first inning in yesterday’s Rangers-Nationals game. That’s when Ron Washington and Matt Williams came out to challenge two different calls on the same play.
With two outs and runners on the corners, the Rangers’ Alex Rios broke to steal second base. He was initially called safe, but then appeared to come off the bag and was tagged. Meanwhile, the runner on third — Elvis Andrus — came home and, initially anyway, was ruled to have crossed home plate before Rios was tagged out at second. So it’s 1-0 Rangers, yes? Well, no.
Matt Williams came out and asked for a replay as to whether or not Andrus crossed home before or after Rios was tagged. Ron Washington came out and asked for a replay as to whether Rios was actually out at second. It was the first time since the replay system started this season that two calls on the same play were challenged.
Williams won his, Washington lost his. Rios was out and Andrus was late. They went into the bottom of the first still tied 0-0. It ended up not mattering, of course, as the Nats couldn’t do anything off Yu Darvish and the Rangers won 2-0.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)