Jun 2, 2014, 8:23 AM EST
If you’re not a big fan of replay you wanted no part of the first inning in yesterday’s Rangers-Nationals game. That’s when Ron Washington and Matt Williams came out to challenge two different calls on the same play.
With two outs and runners on the corners, the Rangers’ Alex Rios broke to steal second base. He was initially called safe, but then appeared to come off the bag and was tagged. Meanwhile, the runner on third — Elvis Andrus — came home and, initially anyway, was ruled to have crossed home plate before Rios was tagged out at second. So it’s 1-0 Rangers, yes? Well, no.
Matt Williams came out and asked for a replay as to whether or not Andrus crossed home before or after Rios was tagged. Ron Washington came out and asked for a replay as to whether Rios was actually out at second. It was the first time since the replay system started this season that two calls on the same play were challenged.
Williams won his, Washington lost his. Rios was out and Andrus was late. They went into the bottom of the first still tied 0-0. It ended up not mattering, of course, as the Nats couldn’t do anything off Yu Darvish and the Rangers won 2-0.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)