The Yankees are “believed to have reached out” to Kendrys Morales

Jun 2, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

kendrys morales getty Getty Images

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says that the Yankees are “believed to have reached out to” free agent Kendrys Morales and that they are “awaiting the results of Mark Teixeira‘s medical re-evaluation before making a big play.”

Morales would be a decent fill in if Teixeira is unable to play. As it is, the Yankees will have to wait until the draft is over, which is when the draft pick compensation attached to Morales will expire.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Lets connect the dots. Heyman………Boras…….Morales.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Borass is “believed to have reached out” to Heyman to serve as his official public relations director.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM

And now, Borass’ toady mouthpiece is claiming the **Royals** are interested. He must be paying Heyman by the Tweet or rumor or whatever.

2. 18thstreet - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Reaching out.
    Touching me, touching yooooooooou …

Ah, crap. Even I’m giving this a thumbs down.

3. onbucky96 - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I blame Scott Boras. Couldn’t happen it a better agent. Put that in your “mystery team” pipe and smoke it Scotty.

4. 18thstreet - Jun 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I think they need to find a replacement in centerfield. The guy they signed in the off-season — I forget his name — has an OPS of 644 for May.

• zzalapski - Jun 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I think you need a taller ladder to reach those cherries you’re trying to pick.

• 18thstreet - Jun 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Listen, after a 10-game losing streak, I thought I’d never see the sun again.

Picking on Beltran was getting boring.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM

To be fair, he’s stayed upright far longer than I expected him to.

5. nbjays - Jun 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Brian Cashman’s checklist for Kendrys Morales:

– Age 30+… check.
    – Averaged a mere 90 games a season for the past 7 years… check.
    – 5 years removed from a career season… check.

Sign him up, he’s Yankee material.

6. bbk1000 - Jun 2, 2014 at 4:35 PM

It’s probably me but I still don’t understand why a lot of players need an agent……

I hope they sign him…he’ll probably break his neck laying back on the pillow after plating his wife……

• 18thstreet - Jun 2, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I would guess 40 percent of it is to protect them from having to hear too much about the 26-28 teams that aren’t remotely interested at any price.

7. musketmaniac - Jun 2, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Awesome, and if this fails it will fuel Yankee jokes and Boras hate for years.

8. baseballphilosophy - Jun 2, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I believe the mariners shouldve picked him up, corey hart is just not performing. Not the bat he used to be but still, could pull them over 500.

9. mikhelb - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Things to note:

When the Yankees want to sign somebody, they do not anounce it and do not allow rumours to spread, it has happened with players who happened to be the biggest free agents in that period.

When there are rumours connecting the Yankees to a player, the most likely result will be he doesn’t get signed, as I said, they do not announce they are interested when they are REALLY interested, if they leak a rumour, then it will be made so their fans think they tried but could not sign him.

When Heyman connects a Boras client to Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers, more likely than not he does it as a publicity stunt to help a client of Boras: if the Yanks are interested then he has to be good, and since I like that player now I’ll have to offer money to offset what the Yanks might have offered. In other words, Heyman tries to create leverage to Boras’ clients. I do not know if he gets a cut or what.

10. bmadormo - Jun 2, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Yankees could really use him plus he will have a major chip on his shoulder to perform

11. xbam1 - Jun 2, 2014 at 9:16 PM

how many games back before he pulls a hammy?

12. 4cornersfan - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:29 AM

So much in baseball, like injuries, slumps and losing streaks, doesn’t have an obvious explanation, it just happens. However, The present situation where the Yankees do not have a reliable first baseman was entirely predictable. Teixiera came off of a bad injury that was going to give him trouble during the season and it was obvious that he was going to need a competent back up. There is nobody else on the Yankees roster who has any experience at first base. Instead of finding a corner utility player or an outfielder who can play first base, Cashman signed Kelly Johnson, who had never played first, with the idea of using him at the position if Teixiera needed time off. Johnson has proved to be incapable of playing the position with any competence and he has failed to provide a reliable bat when he plays any position. Now the Yankees are in the position of having to sign Morales, a player with limited defensive skills and no versatility. This is a serious oversight for a GM whose contract expires this year.

13. jfk69 - Jun 3, 2014 at 4:51 AM

They have also reached out for every starting pitcher available.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3005)