If you want to slam Matt Harvey, you’ll have a great opportunity next week

Jun 3, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

matt harvey getty Getty Images

Slamming Matt Harvey for actually living his life is a fun new sport in New York. How dare you date, how dare you go to a basketball game, how dare you talk to the media. Those who love to play that sport will have a great chance to do so next week. As Newsday reports, Harvey is scheduled to throw off a mound in Port St. Lucie on Monday. But  . . .

Monday also is the Rangers’ first home game in the Stanley Cup Final. Harvey, an avid Rangers fan who is sporting a playoff beard, has tried to make it to New York when his schedule allows to attend the games . . .

Per his agreement with the team, Harvey is allowed to be with the Mets when they’re in New York. They are off on that Monday but will be at their homes there in preparation for a homestand starting the next day. So, technically, Harvey is within his rights to be in New York on Monday. And the expectation would be that he’d toss his bullpen session, hop a flight and be in Madison Square Garden in time for the face-off.

Which is totally cool and normal and shouldn’t cause any trouble. But how much do you wanna bet someone, somewhere, will have a problem with this?

1. darthicarus - Jun 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Yasiel Puig thinks that’s a bit reckless of Harvey.

2. droman79 - Jun 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Worse yet, they will make it out as him WANTING the attention. NY Sports Media = the worst.

3. ditto65 - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Well, I think it is wrong. Not because he can rehab his arm and attend Stanley Cup Finals, but because I cannot.

4. zdravit - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I have a problem with this.

5. stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I have a problem with this. Not (specifically) about Matt Harvey potentially attending the Rangers game.
    No…no…no. Harvey can do what he wishes with his time.
    My problem is this article being written about Matt Harvey and NOT Yasiel Puig.

6. moogro - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Harvey? I’m against it!

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Moogro:
      Disregard the thumbs down. They obviously need their head examined.
      Otherwise, my money is on them being a Taylor Swift fan.
      Which of course, explains everything!

7. sdelmonte - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM

My problem with this is:

1) He’s not an Islander fan. (Everyone should be an Islander fan because it makes your life better. No matter how bad you feel, you can say, “well, at least I am not an Islander.”)

2. He can’t grow a playoff beard unless he promises to grow one when he’s in the playoffs in 2015. (Do baseball players other than the Red Sox grow playoff beards?)

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Athletics do, and some on the Indians did last season too. Playoff beards is a privilege to those who can, except the Yankees and Dodgers, I guess.

8. hojo20 - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I have Matt Harvey fatigue.

9. nsauser - Jun 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Can we please keep this about Qualcomm?

10. tbutler704 - Jun 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM

NY media are assholes.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2871)