Jun 3, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Out since April 8 following thumb surgery, Josh Hamilton is off the disabled list and back in the Angels’ starting lineup for tonight’s game against the Astros.
J.B. Shuck initially took over as the primary left fielder in Hamilton’s absence, but when he struggled the Angels turned to converted infielder Grant Green to handle the position and he’s hit .361 in 21 games.
Hamilton’s return was delayed when he bruised his thumb while rehabbing in the minors, but he ended up going 6-for-13 (.462) with two doubles in three rehab games.
Hamilton, who signed a five-year, $125 million contract with the Angels last offseason, has hit .259 with 23 homers and a .764 OPS since the deal while playing 159 of a possible 218 games.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)