Jun 3, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Out since April 8 following thumb surgery, Josh Hamilton is off the disabled list and back in the Angels’ starting lineup for tonight’s game against the Astros.
J.B. Shuck initially took over as the primary left fielder in Hamilton’s absence, but when he struggled the Angels turned to converted infielder Grant Green to handle the position and he’s hit .361 in 21 games.
Hamilton’s return was delayed when he bruised his thumb while rehabbing in the minors, but he ended up going 6-for-13 (.462) with two doubles in three rehab games.
Hamilton, who signed a five-year, $125 million contract with the Angels last offseason, has hit .259 with 23 homers and a .764 OPS since the deal while playing 159 of a possible 218 games.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)