Jun 3, 2014, 7:41 PM EST
The bad news keeps rolling in for the Rangers.
Jurickson Profar was in Texas’ clubhouse before Tuesday night’s series-opener against the Orioles and acknowledged to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that the recent re-aggravation of his teres major muscle strain will likely prevent him from appearing in a big league game this season.
“If I have to lose the year, that’s alright,” said the talented 21-year-old infielder. “I want to get better.”
Profar was expected to open the 2014 season as the Rangers’ starting second baseman — effectively replacing Ian Kinsler — but he began experiencing discomfort in his right shoulder in late March and hit the 60-day disabled list on April 12.
Profar was making progress on his rehab for much of May — even appearing in games at extended spring training — but he re-strained the shoulder muscle on May 22 and is now shut down indefinitely.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 284
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (285)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)