Mark Teixeira gets good news on his wrist, could return today

Jun 3, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

Mark Teixeira AP

Mark Teixeira and the Yankees got some good news yesterday. Teixeira got his bum wrist examined and it appears that the cortisone shot he got over the weekend has helped it. He could be back in the Yankees’ lineup as soon as today.

As reported yesterday, the Yankees are toying with the idea of making an offer to Kendrys Morales. That seems to be contingent, however, on Teixeira’s absence. If he does return to action today that may put the kibosh on the Morales stuff.

1. deathmonkey41 - Jun 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Until the next time he goes to the plate, jumps out of his shoes trying to pull a ball a foot and a half outside, and re-injures it.

• ditto65 - Jun 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Or trips over the base line.

2. El Bravo - Jun 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I stand corrected (for now).

3. proudlycanadian - Jun 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM

The story that the Yankees were interested in Morales came from a tainted source.

4. pete2112 - Jun 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

This is great news, but this injury is going to be something that’s going to keep coming back so it’s just a matter of time before it happens again. He was great earlier in the season and a bit of a surprise to see his power return, but like most of the team, they have too many players getting injured or not producing. I say get Morales to have someone ready to go. If Tex stays healthy have Morales DH. Soriano is a liability at DH at this point.

• 18thstreet - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I didn’t realize Kelly Johnson had gotten so many innings at first base. (Hope this link works.)

It’s not my money, but it seems like the Yankees ought to sign Morales. Someone’s gotta play first.

• 18thstreet - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Off on a tangent, but (from that same page) I really expected Jeter would get fewer innings in the field than he has.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I’d rather they play Brandon Ryan at first than Kelly Johnson.

• pete2112 - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Regarding Jeter, I thought the same thing. I guess at this point he’s calling his own shots. To be honest, he should have been moved to second base or to the outfield a couple years ago.

• 18thstreet - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I’ve gotten thumbs-down every time I’ve said this, but I always thought moving Jeter to centerfield after Bernie Williams left would have made a lot of sense. But it’s not like I have the best interests of the Yankees at heart, so maybe I’m not seeing things as clearly as I thought I was. Never say him as a good option at third, since his first step has always been a weakness.

5. banger60 - Jun 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Sign someone, he won’t make it the whole season.

• pete2112 - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Given the Yankees luck lately, either will the person they sign…. sigh.

6. pisano - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Next week it’ll be the same story, he may never be 100% from this injury.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester