Jun 3, 2014, 9:52 PM EDT
Matt Harrison has been limited to six starts over the past two seasons because of lingering back issues, and now his career might be in jeopardy.
Anthony Andro of FOXSportsSouthwest.com reports that Harrison underwent lumbar disc fusion surgery on Tuesday in Dallas, Texas and “there’s a chance” he won’t recover to the point where he can throw from a mound on a regular basis. The 28-year-old lefty has already been placed on the disabled list and can at least be ruled out though the remainder of 2014.
Harrison signed a five-year, $55 million contract extension with Texas before the 2013 season.
He posted a 3.34 ERA (132 ERA+) in 399 innings between the 2011 and 2012 campaigns.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)