Jun 3, 2014, 9:52 PM EST
Matt Harrison has been limited to six starts over the past two seasons because of lingering back issues, and now his career might be in jeopardy.
Anthony Andro of FOXSportsSouthwest.com reports that Harrison underwent lumbar disc fusion surgery on Tuesday in Dallas, Texas and “there’s a chance” he won’t recover to the point where he can throw from a mound on a regular basis. The 28-year-old lefty has already been placed on the disabled list and can at least be ruled out though the remainder of 2014.
Harrison signed a five-year, $55 million contract extension with Texas before the 2013 season.
He posted a 3.34 ERA (132 ERA+) in 399 innings between the 2011 and 2012 campaigns.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)