Jun 3, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
The Rockies have a major league-best .801 OPS here on June 3, but their staff ERA of 4.24 ranks 26th out of 30. A move will be made later this week to hopefully boost the pitching end of things.
According to MLB.com’s Thomas Harding, the Rockies plan to call up top pitching prospect Eddie Butler on Friday and start him in their series-opener against the Dodgers, one of the teams Colorado is chasing in the National League West standings.
Butler was the 46th overall pick in the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft out of Radford University in Virginia. The 23-year-old righty has compiled a 2.05 ERA and 238 strikeouts in 286 minor league innings and was ranked a Top 50 prospect by MLB.com, Baseball America, and Baseball Prospectus prior this offseason.
The Rockies (28-28) could also soon promote pitcher Jon Gray, the No. 3 overall pick in 2013.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)