Tim Hudson wants you to know he’s not bitter at the Braves

Jun 3, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Tim Hudson AP AP

Bob Nightengale of USA Today wrote an article about Tim Hudson recently that portrayed the Giants right-hander as bitter at the Braves after leaving Atlanta as a free agent this offseason, but now Hudson wants everyone to know that he’s not bitter at all.

Hudson told Mark Bowman of MLB.com that reading Nightengale’s piece “kind of made me feel sick most of yesterday, because that is not the way I felt after the whole process played out.”

Instead, here’s how Hudson describes his parting ways with the Braves after nine seasons in Atlanta:

After the initial offer and all of that, it ended up not being a slap in the face. But initially, it looked like we were not going to go anywhere. The Braves made a push, but we were just too far down the line with the Giants. I still keep up with the Braves like I have my whole life. I still have a lot of great friends in that clubhouse.  I can’t say I don’t still pull for them, because I do, except for when we’re playing them.

Bowman notes that the Braves initially made a one-year, $2 million offer to Hudson, which was pretty insulting considering he eventually got $23 million over two years from the Giants, but apparently Atlanta’s offer to the Georgia native gradually increased.

Hudson is thriving in San Francisco, seamlessly returning from a gruesome ankle injury to go 6-2 with a 1.75 ERA and 50/8 K/BB ratio in 77 innings for the Giants at age 38.

1. tbird05 - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Damn, 2 mil? The Bravos front office should apologize for that. I don’t care if that offer was made with the understanding that it would increase during negotiations. Seems like they should have had a better relationship with huddy than that. No need to walk this one back huddy, I completely understand your distaste. You mind coming back if we give the Giants Ervin Santana?

2. apeville - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM

They lowballed the guy. As a Giants fan first that also likes the Braves- I can’t complain in the way that it turned out.

The best revenge is what he’s doing right now- delivering.

3. ralphdibny - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM

38 years old, coming off a gruesome ankle injury. Joe Pos has another post up here about the Oakland As and making smart bets. Tim Hudson wasn’t a smart bet–he knew it and the Braves knew it. Tim Hudson is one of my favorite players and I am thrilled he is doing do well, but I don’t blame the Braves for not making that bet, and neither does Hudson.

• baberuthslegs - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM

So in the last few years the Braves and A’s have won how many World Series? And the Giants?

• billybawl - Jun 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM

The Giants also signed Barry Zito to one of the worst contracts ever. Does the fact that they won the WS with him make it a good deal for the Giants?

• baberuthslegs - Jun 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Nope. They blew that one big time.

• jxegh - Jun 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Well, he did help the Giants in the 2012 series.

• bigdicktater - Jun 3, 2014 at 4:43 PM

billy and babe: the Giants front office has repeatedly stated they wouldn’t change the Zito deal if they had a do-over. Granted, he stunk at times, but he came up huge on several occasions in 2012 and they more than made up his contract in ticket, concession and merch sales.

• tbird05 - Jun 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Publicly huddy doesn’t blame them, but I promise you he is a little bitter behind closed doors…and he should be. I understand smart bets, but following that logic, the Braves wouldn’t have signed Chipper with his final deal. Huddy has a history of back/neck problems, but still manages to put up consistently good numbers every year, averaging over 30 starts (provided he doesn’t have a significant injury). The point is, he is as durable as they come, and the Braves would have been wise to at least offer him a one year, 9 mil contract. They shouldn’t have even wasted their time with a 2 mil offer…it would have been more respectful to just tell him they weren’t interested in taking the risk.

4. mediocrebob - Jun 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Braves don’t need to apologize for anything. Huddy is one of my favorite MLB guys but he was coming off an awful injury and the guy’s not 20 anymore. Braves have a ton of young talented arms. As much as I miss the guy now (especially after losing 2 of the top 3 pitchers in the rotation to TJ surgery) the braves had to make some tough decisions. It all worked out for Huddy in the end. Shouldn’t be hard feelings.

• tbird05 - Jun 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Probably won’t be after a few years, but if you don’t want the guy, at least respect him enough to say so. Don’t throw pennies as him because you secretly hope that he signs elsewhere. He’s not some punk that nobody in ATL cares about. He has been an anchor for that club for 9 years, and has done a TON in the community. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have gone their separate ways, just saying that they should have at least had the balls, and respect to say so rather than throw pennies at him.

5. southernmaster - Jun 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Wow, 2 mil? Huddy is worth that just as a teammate.

6. southernmaster - Jun 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM

After wasting money on BJ Upton & Uggla, Frank Wren didn’t have the money for Huddy. LOL

• sportsfan18 - Jun 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM

check out Uggla’s stats BEFORE he joined the Braves…

They didn’t give $13 million a year to a .177 hitter…

He hit .287 his last yr in Florida. He slugged over .500 and got on base well above the league average that season too. He hit over 30 doubles and 30 home runs and had over 100 RBI’s.

THAT is what the Braves signed him for. He had NOT hit below the Mendoza line to that point…

And, as you may know, baseball contracts are guaranteed, so they still have him.

The NFL would have cut him long ago…

• southernmaster - Jun 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Yes, I’m well aware of Uggla’s numbers with the Marlins. But he has been unproductive (to put it mildly) with the Braves, so it’s a horrible contract. And I actually like Uggla, you couldn’t ask for a better teammate.

7. akgobears - Jun 3, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Braves loss is the Giants gain plain and simple no matter what the reason……….

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3113)