Jun 3, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale of USA Today wrote an article about Tim Hudson recently that portrayed the Giants right-hander as bitter at the Braves after leaving Atlanta as a free agent this offseason, but now Hudson wants everyone to know that he’s not bitter at all.
Hudson told Mark Bowman of MLB.com that reading Nightengale’s piece “kind of made me feel sick most of yesterday, because that is not the way I felt after the whole process played out.”
Instead, here’s how Hudson describes his parting ways with the Braves after nine seasons in Atlanta:
After the initial offer and all of that, it ended up not being a slap in the face. But initially, it looked like we were not going to go anywhere. The Braves made a push, but we were just too far down the line with the Giants. I still keep up with the Braves like I have my whole life. I still have a lot of great friends in that clubhouse. I can’t say I don’t still pull for them, because I do, except for when we’re playing them.
Bowman notes that the Braves initially made a one-year, $2 million offer to Hudson, which was pretty insulting considering he eventually got $23 million over two years from the Giants, but apparently Atlanta’s offer to the Georgia native gradually increased.
Hudson is thriving in San Francisco, seamlessly returning from a gruesome ankle injury to go 6-2 with a 1.75 ERA and 50/8 K/BB ratio in 77 innings for the Giants at age 38.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 1
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 41
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)