Jun 4, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Rockies don’t know what to do to fix the finger injury, but they have decided to get Gonzalez out of the way while they try to figure it out: they placed him on the disabled list.
10:15 AM: Carlos Gonzalez has spent most of the season playing through chronic knee problems, but now the Rockies outfielder is also dealing with a finger injury that may require a disabled list stint.
Gonzalez has been forced to miss four games and leave three other games early due to a broken blood vessel in his left index finger that has caused swelling. And according to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, after visiting with a hand specialist in Cleveland recently Gonzalez was told that “not only was there no surgical answer, but it’s not even clear how much rest will allow the injury to repair.”
Rockies manager Walt Weiss suggested that a trip to the disabled list may be necessary simply because the team can’t afford to keep removing him from the lineup and from the field mid-game. His performance has also suffered significantly. Gonzalez came into this season as a career .307 hitter with a .920 OPS in five years with the Rockies, but now he’s hitting just .255 with a .756 OPS in 52 games and is 2-for-22 with nine strikeouts since aggravating the injury.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)