Jun 4, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
UPDATE: The Rockies don’t know what to do to fix the finger injury, but they have decided to get Gonzalez out of the way while they try to figure it out: they placed him on the disabled list.
10:15 AM: Carlos Gonzalez has spent most of the season playing through chronic knee problems, but now the Rockies outfielder is also dealing with a finger injury that may require a disabled list stint.
Gonzalez has been forced to miss four games and leave three other games early due to a broken blood vessel in his left index finger that has caused swelling. And according to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, after visiting with a hand specialist in Cleveland recently Gonzalez was told that “not only was there no surgical answer, but it’s not even clear how much rest will allow the injury to repair.”
Rockies manager Walt Weiss suggested that a trip to the disabled list may be necessary simply because the team can’t afford to keep removing him from the lineup and from the field mid-game. His performance has also suffered significantly. Gonzalez came into this season as a career .307 hitter with a .920 OPS in five years with the Rockies, but now he’s hitting just .255 with a .756 OPS in 52 games and is 2-for-22 with nine strikeouts since aggravating the injury.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)