Jun 4, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
UPDATE: The Rockies don’t know what to do to fix the finger injury, but they have decided to get Gonzalez out of the way while they try to figure it out: they placed him on the disabled list.
10:15 AM: Carlos Gonzalez has spent most of the season playing through chronic knee problems, but now the Rockies outfielder is also dealing with a finger injury that may require a disabled list stint.
Gonzalez has been forced to miss four games and leave three other games early due to a broken blood vessel in his left index finger that has caused swelling. And according to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, after visiting with a hand specialist in Cleveland recently Gonzalez was told that “not only was there no surgical answer, but it’s not even clear how much rest will allow the injury to repair.”
Rockies manager Walt Weiss suggested that a trip to the disabled list may be necessary simply because the team can’t afford to keep removing him from the lineup and from the field mid-game. His performance has also suffered significantly. Gonzalez came into this season as a career .307 hitter with a .920 OPS in five years with the Rockies, but now he’s hitting just .255 with a .756 OPS in 52 games and is 2-for-22 with nine strikeouts since aggravating the injury.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 6
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)