David Ortiz rips MLB for punishing Brandon Workman but not David Price

Jun 4, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

CLEVELAND — For the most part, the Red Sox took the high road in regard to the news that pitcher Brandon Workman was suspended for six games for his actions in last Friday’s showdown with Tampa Bay — and the corresponding lack of discipline taken toward the Rays’ David Price.

Manager John Farrell maintained a diplomatic tact, saying the Red Sox had presented their side of the confrontation and have to deal with the fallout. Workman, who is appealing the suspension and will pitch as scheduled Wednesday, continued to maintain that he wasn’t throwing at Evan Longoria.

But David Ortiz showed no such restraint.

“[The Rays] started everything and we’ve got to pay for it, basically,” fumed Ortiz, hit in the back in the first inning by Price, who went unpunished. “That’s the message I’m getting. I don’t have any answer for it. But like I say, man, there’s way too much evidence now that he hit me on purpose and the funny thing is we’re the ones getting fines and suspensions, all that kind of stuff.

“I guess the rules are not for everyone.”

And while Workman continued to insist that the ball slipped when he threw up and behind Longoria several innings later, Ortiz was more direct about his teammate’s motivation.

“He was supposed to back up his teammate — that’s what he did,” said Ortiz. “I don’t want to see nobody getting hit or hurt. But to be honest with you, nobody planned Workman going out there and trying to hit Longoria, which he missed. But at least he sent a message — you hit my players, I hit yours.”

[RELATED: Sox can't get 'elusive' hit with runners on]

Ortiz still isn’t buying Price’s original assertion that he was trying to establish his fastball inside when he drilled Ortiz in the back in the first inning.

“Bro, the guy gave out 8 walks in 80 innings,” said Ortiz. “You know what you’re doing out there. In my case, when he hit me, I was a little confused. As the game went by, I started seeing things different. That’s why I was so angry after the game. I think MLB should [review] this and come up with the real deal because I don’t think what they’re doing is fair.

“I think the rules should for everybody. We didn’t start this up. I didn’t hurt nobody. Workman wasn’t hitting anybody in the first inning. They did.”

At first, Ortiz didn’t believe Price had intentionally hit him, since the Red Sox slugger recalled two conversations he had in the aftermath of Game 2 of the ALDS last October. Price was initially miffed that Ortiz stood and admired the second of his two homers and voiced his displeasure in a phone call.

But Price later called back and apologized and then repeated his apology publicly in Tampa following the day. Ortiz thought the issue was long resolved.

“That’s why I was [first] thinking, ‘Did he really do that on purpose?’ ” said Ortiz. “But like I say, I don’t care about we he did or does from this point on. What I care about is MLB looking at the case from the point where I didn’t start this up. Workman didn’t start this up. Price did.

“I thought the rule was for everybody. I thought the minute you figure that someone hit somebody on purpose, it says right there you’ve got to follow up [with discipline]. In this case, it seems like they didn’t.”

Ortiz also added this warning: “In my case, I’ve made my point clear. I’m not going to get hit again. Not by him. I’m not going to get hit again by him. He did it on purpose. He punked me and that was very disrespectful. I’m a grown-ass man and I’ve been around the league for a long time and I know how to take care of business of my own.”

1. dohpey28 - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Did he ever get to the bottom of why he was on the steroid list? Oh wait you mean he never really was serious about it because he knew why he was there?

2. tbird05 - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Something tells me Big Papi is upset.

3. aceshigh11 - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM

C’mon, Ortiz…just shut up, get out there, and start raking. Stop whining about everything.

4. proudlycanadian - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Would Ortiz like some cheese with that wine? Time to give it a rest and to concentrate on actually winning some baseball games for a change. The defending World Series champions have let their fans down this season. It would be more productive if they played well, rather than complained.

5. ditto65 - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Big Babi should just zip it, lock it, and put it in his pocket.

6. gatorprof - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Some content was stripped by our security filters, but it should be possible for one of your Editors to embed the content for you.

7. stex52 - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

That’s part of how Ortiz rolls. he is a great hitter, but you have to put up with a lot of noise.

Appears to be okay with the Sox. I would find it pretty annoying if I had to listen all the time.

8. indaburg - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Seeing how the Rays have been playing, MLB probably figured that being a Ray was punishment enough for Price.

• kruegere - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM

#1 draft pick confirmed

9. fabdeezy77 - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

He’s such a clown get over yourself big baby!

10. rbj1 - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

continued to maintain that he wasn’t throwing at Evan Longoria.

Actually Workman contended that he wasn’t throwing at Eva Longoria. Which is true.

11. nobody78 - Jun 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I can’t stand Ortiz or the Sox, but I think he’s in the right here. If I were Workman, I’d probably be happy to have one of my teammates stick up for me in public when the decision was so obviously unfair.

12. noyourearacist - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Take it out on a phone in the visiting dugout.

13. uwsptke - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM

“I guess the rules are not for everyone.”

Says the steroid cheat.

14. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Has a power hitter ever been plunked less or whined about it more?

• 18thstreet - Jun 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Youkilis?

• peymax1693 - Jun 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM

My hatred of the Red Sox is so great that I know I really can’t be objective with my criticism.

But really, aren’t people tired of their whiny “it’s us a against the world” act?
      Pedro Martinez threw at people all the time and he never got suspended. I don’t think I ever heard Ortiz complain about the rules not applying to him.

15. hcf95688 - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Ortiz is such a whiny bitch. Go shoot up some more steroids and take another 45 minutes to circle the bases, Chump.

16. psuorioles - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Will this guy please STFU…

17. billyboy789 - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM

It must be a RACE thing.

18. pisano - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Obama says it’s George Bush’s fault. We all know Obama always tells the truth.

19. doctorofsmuganomics - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Papi needs a tampon

20. Eutaw's Finest - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM

If you refer to yourself as a “grown ass man” I hardly consider you an adult.

21. mfrizzle - Jun 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM

King of the can dish it out but can’t take it club.

22. scorpiox1960 - Jun 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Has anyone else grown tired of this clown’s act besides me? It’s not 2004 anymore.

23. El Bravo - Jun 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Wow, don’t everyone take sides now….

24. kinggator - Jun 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Puck Big Fapi!!

25. uyf1950 - Jun 4, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Just my opinion but Big Papi has been one of the biggest recipients of that “I guess the rules are not for everyone.” he riles about. Just play the game and let the players involved talk for themselves.

Three legends off to Cooperstown