Don Zimmer: 1931-2014

Jun 4, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT

Sad news here from Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times

Zimmer played in the majors for 12 years (1954-1965) and spent the next several decades around the game as a manager and coach. His résumé included time on-staff with the Expos, Padres, Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Giants, Rockies, Rays, and Rangers. Zimmer was truly one of the great baseball ambassadors.

Appropriate or not, he might be remembered most for charging at Pedro Martinez in the 2003 ALCS:

1. mick2014 - Jun 5, 2014 at 1:51 AM

So Zimmer only gets 3 sentences from this Silva cut & paste tweet thief after 60 years in MLB.
    Where do these wannabe writers get their credentials from? Mickey Mouse school of Journalism?

• nbjays - Jun 5, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Relax, I’m sure Joe Posnanski is composing a masterpiece about Zim as we speak, and it’ll be more than 3 sentences… that I guarantee.

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Drew put this up at 9 PM last night, or about as quickly as he found out about it – and other columns will follow shortly (at least one has already). Chill out. The standard school of Journalism keeps obituaries of prominent people pre-written in its pocket and updates them periodically. Wire services and large newspapers have writers who do very little else but write and update these things in advance. That’s actually what “professionals” do. You would maybe have preferred a canned obit? Don’t go evaluating “journalism” like you know what you’re talking about when you’ve clearly never worked as one yourself and have no clue what goes on in the profession.

2. renaado - Jun 5, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Don Zimmer’s not just a legend but also a great Baseball hero… Truly a remarkable athlete and person.

RIP Don…

3. Minoring In Baseball - Jun 5, 2014 at 2:40 AM

All the best to his family. I’ll probably remember Zimmer best for when he was managing the Cubs. It was hard to be a kid in the mid-late 80′s and not see the Cubs on WGN when you got home from school, or on a summer afternoon (before the lights at Wrigley).

4. bpacha77511 - Jun 5, 2014 at 4:40 AM

R.I.P. Zimmer and my condolences go out to all of his family.

5. barrywhererufrom - Jun 5, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Yankees’ fans will never forgot that 96 Yankees team partly because of Zim’s input into game day strategy. He made Joe Torre a better manager. Baseball lost one of its greatest icons. RIP Zim baseball lost one of the great ones..

6. gbart22 - Jun 5, 2014 at 7:58 AM

That didn’t even cross my mind and I doubt that is the thing he’s remembered for. Kind of disgusting.

7. tysonpunchinguterus - Jun 5, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I was very sad when I heard this news. However, I’m glad for him that he was able to spend his entire adult life working in baseball. You could always tell that he genuinely enjoyed being around the game and loved helping younger players. As a Yankees fan, I know how well he knew the game and was able to teach and relate to players less than half his age. By all accounts I’ve ever heard, he was a great guy and will be sorely missed.

8. robynfmiller - Jun 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

my friend’s sister is losing 10 pounds every 2 weeks. She has been over weight but last month she started to take these new supplements and she has lost 40 pounds so far. take a look at the site here:—–>> http://www.Dieting99.com

9. stlouis1baseball - Jun 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM

RIP Don Zimmer. The game is far better for having you involved with it for 60+ years.

10. billyboots - Jun 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Does Kareem Garcia have a plaque in Monument Plaza yet?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4028)