Jun 4, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
UPDATE, 7:21 p.m. ET: A “high-ranking” Pirates official told beat writer Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that there are currently no plans to call up Polanco on Friday. This just took an odd turn.
As first reported on Wednesday afternoon by Tim Williams of PiratesProspects.com and then later confirmed by FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Pirates will call up top outfield prospect Gregory Polanco before their series-opener Friday night at home against the NL Central-leading Brewers.
Polanco, rated a Top 10 prospect this winter by Baseball America, has hit .351/.410/.547 with six home runs, 47 RBI, and 14 stolen bases in 57 games this season at Triple-A Indianapolis. He should provide an immediate boost to a Pirates offense that currently ranks 22nd in the majors in runs scored.
Pittsburgh opens play Wednesday evening with a 28-30 record and -22 run differential.
The only reason Polanco isn’t already in the bigs was threat that he might achieve Super Two status. His callup Friday means that he will finish the 2014 season with 115 days of service time. The projected cutoff for Super Two status — according to Williams’ report at PiratesProspects.com — is two years and 128 days.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)