Jun 4, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) June 5, 2014
Zimmer’s last job in baseball was senior advisor for the Rays. He touched so many lives …
My heart is very sad. A HOF person and someone overlooked for his service has moved on. Don Zimmer RIP my friend and manager. @MLB
— Johnny Bench (@Johnny_Bench5) June 5, 2014
It’s possible Don Zimmer’s family will take Don’s passing easier than Jim Leyland. He’s going to be a wreck. Leyland and Zimmer were tight.
— Lynn G. Henning (@Lynn_Henning) June 5, 2014
My favorite Don Zimmer story: He rented a house from Bucky Dent in the early ’80s and says he spit tobacco juice in the shag carpet.
— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) June 5, 2014
Don Zimmer lived a full baseball life. Met Babe Ruth, played with Jackie Robinson, coached Derek Jeter. An American original. Rest in peace.
— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) June 5, 2014
— Amanda Kaschube (@amandakaschube) June 5, 2014
Here’s Don Zimmer with Ted Williams in 1978. (AP photo) pic.twitter.com/ZnMBiTlYIV
— WEEI (@WEEI) June 5, 2014
— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) June 5, 2014
Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig issued the following statement:
“Like everyone in Major League Baseball, I am deeply saddened by the loss of my friend Don Zimmer, one of our game’s most universally beloved figures. A memorable contributor to Baseball for more than 60 years, Don was the kind of person you could only find in the National Pastime.
“As a player, Don experienced the joys of the 1955 World Champion Brooklyn Dodgers and the struggles of the ’62 Mets. In his managerial and coaching career, this unique baseball man led the Cubs to a division crown and then, at his good friend Joe Torre’s loyal side, helped usher in a new era in the fabled history of the Yankees.
“On behalf of Major League Baseball and the many Clubs that ‘Popeye’ served in a distinguished Baseball life, I extend my deepest condolences to Don’s family, friends and his many throughout our game.”
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)