Jun 4, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) June 5, 2014
Zimmer’s last job in baseball was senior advisor for the Rays. He touched so many lives …
My heart is very sad. A HOF person and someone overlooked for his service has moved on. Don Zimmer RIP my friend and manager. @MLB
— Johnny Bench (@Johnny_Bench5) June 5, 2014
It’s possible Don Zimmer’s family will take Don’s passing easier than Jim Leyland. He’s going to be a wreck. Leyland and Zimmer were tight.
— Lynn G. Henning (@Lynn_Henning) June 5, 2014
My favorite Don Zimmer story: He rented a house from Bucky Dent in the early ’80s and says he spit tobacco juice in the shag carpet.
— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) June 5, 2014
Don Zimmer lived a full baseball life. Met Babe Ruth, played with Jackie Robinson, coached Derek Jeter. An American original. Rest in peace.
— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) June 5, 2014
— Amanda Kaschube (@amandakaschube) June 5, 2014
Here’s Don Zimmer with Ted Williams in 1978. (AP photo) pic.twitter.com/ZnMBiTlYIV
— WEEI (@WEEI) June 5, 2014
— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) June 5, 2014
Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig issued the following statement:
“Like everyone in Major League Baseball, I am deeply saddened by the loss of my friend Don Zimmer, one of our game’s most universally beloved figures. A memorable contributor to Baseball for more than 60 years, Don was the kind of person you could only find in the National Pastime.
“As a player, Don experienced the joys of the 1955 World Champion Brooklyn Dodgers and the struggles of the ’62 Mets. In his managerial and coaching career, this unique baseball man led the Cubs to a division crown and then, at his good friend Joe Torre’s loyal side, helped usher in a new era in the fabled history of the Yankees.
“On behalf of Major League Baseball and the many Clubs that ‘Popeye’ served in a distinguished Baseball life, I extend my deepest condolences to Don’s family, friends and his many throughout our game.”
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 76
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 23
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Indians place starter Carlos Carrasco on 15-day disabled list with right shoulder discomfort 1
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)