Jun 4, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) June 5, 2014
Zimmer’s last job in baseball was senior advisor for the Rays. He touched so many lives …
My heart is very sad. A HOF person and someone overlooked for his service has moved on. Don Zimmer RIP my friend and manager. @MLB
— Johnny Bench (@Johnny_Bench5) June 5, 2014
It’s possible Don Zimmer’s family will take Don’s passing easier than Jim Leyland. He’s going to be a wreck. Leyland and Zimmer were tight.
— Lynn G. Henning (@Lynn_Henning) June 5, 2014
My favorite Don Zimmer story: He rented a house from Bucky Dent in the early ’80s and says he spit tobacco juice in the shag carpet.
— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) June 5, 2014
Don Zimmer lived a full baseball life. Met Babe Ruth, played with Jackie Robinson, coached Derek Jeter. An American original. Rest in peace.
— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) June 5, 2014
— Amanda Kaschube (@amandakaschube) June 5, 2014
Here’s Don Zimmer with Ted Williams in 1978. (AP photo) pic.twitter.com/ZnMBiTlYIV
— WEEI (@WEEI) June 5, 2014
— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) June 5, 2014
Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig issued the following statement:
“Like everyone in Major League Baseball, I am deeply saddened by the loss of my friend Don Zimmer, one of our game’s most universally beloved figures. A memorable contributor to Baseball for more than 60 years, Don was the kind of person you could only find in the National Pastime.
“As a player, Don experienced the joys of the 1955 World Champion Brooklyn Dodgers and the struggles of the ’62 Mets. In his managerial and coaching career, this unique baseball man led the Cubs to a division crown and then, at his good friend Joe Torre’s loyal side, helped usher in a new era in the fabled history of the Yankees.
“On behalf of Major League Baseball and the many Clubs that ‘Popeye’ served in a distinguished Baseball life, I extend my deepest condolences to Don’s family, friends and his many throughout our game.”
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)