Jun 4, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Give credit to Detroit. They could look at “RoboCop,” note that it portrays the city as an utter hellscape that is so rotten and crime-ridden that the entire plot is put in motion via a scheme to literally build a new city over the ruins of the old, and say “no thanks, we’d rather not be associated with that.” If they did that, I’m not sure many people could reasonably blame them.
But Detroit doesn’t care. Indeed, they care so little that they embrace the thing. At least the Tigers did last night with “RoboCop Day.” They even had the guy throw out the first pitch:
I’d buy that for a dollar.
Personally, I’m a Peter Weller man and preferred the original version. But I suppose he wasn’t available.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 41
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (85)