Jun 4, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Give credit to Detroit. They could look at “RoboCop,” note that it portrays the city as an utter hellscape that is so rotten and crime-ridden that the entire plot is put in motion via a scheme to literally build a new city over the ruins of the old, and say “no thanks, we’d rather not be associated with that.” If they did that, I’m not sure many people could reasonably blame them.
But Detroit doesn’t care. Indeed, they care so little that they embrace the thing. At least the Tigers did last night with “RoboCop Day.” They even had the guy throw out the first pitch:
I’d buy that for a dollar.
Personally, I’m a Peter Weller man and preferred the original version. But I suppose he wasn’t available.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 17
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 9
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 24
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 60
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)