Jun 4, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Give credit to Detroit. They could look at “RoboCop,” note that it portrays the city as an utter hellscape that is so rotten and crime-ridden that the entire plot is put in motion via a scheme to literally build a new city over the ruins of the old, and say “no thanks, we’d rather not be associated with that.” If they did that, I’m not sure many people could reasonably blame them.
But Detroit doesn’t care. Indeed, they care so little that they embrace the thing. At least the Tigers did last night with “RoboCop Day.” They even had the guy throw out the first pitch:
I’d buy that for a dollar.
Personally, I’m a Peter Weller man and preferred the original version. But I suppose he wasn’t available.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)