Jun 4, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Give credit to Detroit. They could look at “RoboCop,” note that it portrays the city as an utter hellscape that is so rotten and crime-ridden that the entire plot is put in motion via a scheme to literally build a new city over the ruins of the old, and say “no thanks, we’d rather not be associated with that.” If they did that, I’m not sure many people could reasonably blame them.
But Detroit doesn’t care. Indeed, they care so little that they embrace the thing. At least the Tigers did last night with “RoboCop Day.” They even had the guy throw out the first pitch:
I’d buy that for a dollar.
Personally, I’m a Peter Weller man and preferred the original version. But I suppose he wasn’t available.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)