Jun 4, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Tomorrow night the Cubs will pick fourth overall in this year’s draft, but last year’s No. 2 overall pick, third baseman Kris Bryant, is already banging down the door to the big leagues.
Or at least he could be, based on the damage he’s done against Double-A pitching with a .353 batting average, 19 homers, 15 doubles, and a 1.160 OPS in 57 games at age 22.
However, when asked about simply promoting Bryant from Double-A to Triple-A–and not even to the majors–in the near future Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer indicated that’s not in the plans, telling Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com:
Certainly, we tell every prospect to go dominate, and he’s obviously doing that. I think we probably want to see it for a little bit longer. It’s only been two months at that level. He’s been sort of skipping up through the system without really a lot of time at one level. But everything from defense to base-running to what he’s done offensively–I know he’s everything we had hoped for and hopefully he’ll keep it up.
It’s worth noting that most teams don’t really consider Triple-A a whole lot different than Double-A and in fact many teams prefer to keep prospects at Double-A before promoting them to the majors. However, it certainly doesn’t sound like the Cubs are close to letting Bryant make his big-league debut, which means he might put up some ridiculous numbers at Double-A this season.
Counting what he did at Single-A last season after signing Bryant has now hit .346 with 28 homers, 29 doubles, and 47 walks in 93 games as a professional, producing a .434 on-base percentage, .696 slugging percentage, and 1.130 OPS.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 11
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 14
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (98)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)