Jun 5, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Picking first for the third year in a row, the Astros went where no team leading off the draft had gone in over 20 years, making high school left-hander Brady Aiken the first overall pick in the 2014 draft.
Aiken is the first prep pitcher taken No. 1 overall since the Yankees went with left-hander Brien Taylor in 1991. Taylor, who seemed well on his way to justifying the hype initially, famous flamed out after hurting his shoulder in a bar fight.
Aiken follows high school shortstop Carlos Correa (2012) and Stanford right-hander Mark Appel (2013) as No. 1 overall picks to join the Houston farm system, as the Astros became the first team ever to draft first three straight years by virtue of having MLB’s worst record each time. Prior to 2005, that would have been impossible, since it was alternated by year whether the AL’s worst team or the NL’s worst team got the No. 1 pick.
Aiken, 17, is a SoCal native with a 94-97 mph fastball, curve and changeup. He told MLB.com he’s also working on a cutter. “The goal is to just maintain my command and velocity, and hopefully I can work in a fourth pitch like that [cutter],” he said.
The Astros will surely go slowly with Aiken, and it’s doubtful he’ll reach the majors prior to 2017 even if everything goes as hoped.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 62
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 41
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)