Jun 5, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
No. 2 pick: Marlins select high school RHP Tyler Kolek
MLB teams love the big right-handers from Texas (the Marlins once got a really good one in Josh Beckett), and Kolek is one of the biggest, checking in at 6’5″ and 250-260 pounds. He throws in the mid-90s, hitting 100 mph on occasion, and he has a pair of breaking balls. His command lags behind his stuff and he needs to work on his changeup, but he’s quite a talent.
No. 3 pick: White Sox select NC State LHP Carlos Rodon
Rodon was the heavy favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick at the beginning of the year, but a heavy workload and inconsistent velocity caused some worry among the teams at the top. He finished better than he started, and he seems like a great choice for the White Sox here. He could join their rotation in the first half of 2015.
No. 4 pick: Cubs select Indiana catcher Kyle Schwarber
The first curveball of the draft, Schwarber was the star of a surprise Hoosiers team this year, hitting .358/.464/.659 with 14 homers in 232 at-bats. Taking him this high suggests that the Cubs are confident that he can stay behind the plate, which has been in question. He is fast enough to play in the outfield if necessary. Ideally, his left-handed bat will someday fit nicely behind right-handers Albert Almora, Javier Baez and Kris Bryant in the order.
No. 5 pick: Twins select high school shortstop Nick Gordon
Gordon is another son of former major league pitcher Tom and the brother of Dodgers second baseman Dee. He has a terrific arm and was a prospect as a pitcher as well, but he much preferred to play shortstop. How much he’ll hit remains to be seen. He should offer more power than Dee, and he has plenty of speed, of course. Just 18, he’s a long way from the majors.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (94)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)