Jun 5, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
No. 2 pick: Marlins select high school RHP Tyler Kolek
MLB teams love the big right-handers from Texas (the Marlins once got a really good one in Josh Beckett), and Kolek is one of the biggest, checking in at 6’5″ and 250-260 pounds. He throws in the mid-90s, hitting 100 mph on occasion, and he has a pair of breaking balls. His command lags behind his stuff and he needs to work on his changeup, but he’s quite a talent.
No. 3 pick: White Sox select NC State LHP Carlos Rodon
Rodon was the heavy favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick at the beginning of the year, but a heavy workload and inconsistent velocity caused some worry among the teams at the top. He finished better than he started, and he seems like a great choice for the White Sox here. He could join their rotation in the first half of 2015.
No. 4 pick: Cubs select Indiana catcher Kyle Schwarber
The first curveball of the draft, Schwarber was the star of a surprise Hoosiers team this year, hitting .358/.464/.659 with 14 homers in 232 at-bats. Taking him this high suggests that the Cubs are confident that he can stay behind the plate, which has been in question. He is fast enough to play in the outfield if necessary. Ideally, his left-handed bat will someday fit nicely behind right-handers Albert Almora, Javier Baez and Kris Bryant in the order.
No. 5 pick: Twins select high school shortstop Nick Gordon
Gordon is another son of former major league pitcher Tom and the brother of Dodgers second baseman Dee. He has a terrific arm and was a prospect as a pitcher as well, but he much preferred to play shortstop. How much he’ll hit remains to be seen. He should offer more power than Dee, and he has plenty of speed, of course. Just 18, he’s a long way from the majors.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 31
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 6
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)