Jun 5, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
No. 2 pick: Marlins select high school RHP Tyler Kolek
MLB teams love the big right-handers from Texas (the Marlins once got a really good one in Josh Beckett), and Kolek is one of the biggest, checking in at 6’5″ and 250-260 pounds. He throws in the mid-90s, hitting 100 mph on occasion, and he has a pair of breaking balls. His command lags behind his stuff and he needs to work on his changeup, but he’s quite a talent.
No. 3 pick: White Sox select NC State LHP Carlos Rodon
Rodon was the heavy favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick at the beginning of the year, but a heavy workload and inconsistent velocity caused some worry among the teams at the top. He finished better than he started, and he seems like a great choice for the White Sox here. He could join their rotation in the first half of 2015.
No. 4 pick: Cubs select Indiana catcher Kyle Schwarber
The first curveball of the draft, Schwarber was the star of a surprise Hoosiers team this year, hitting .358/.464/.659 with 14 homers in 232 at-bats. Taking him this high suggests that the Cubs are confident that he can stay behind the plate, which has been in question. He is fast enough to play in the outfield if necessary. Ideally, his left-handed bat will someday fit nicely behind right-handers Albert Almora, Javier Baez and Kris Bryant in the order.
No. 5 pick: Twins select high school shortstop Nick Gordon
Gordon is another son of former major league pitcher Tom and the brother of Dodgers second baseman Dee. He has a terrific arm and was a prospect as a pitcher as well, but he much preferred to play shortstop. How much he’ll hit remains to be seen. He should offer more power than Dee, and he has plenty of speed, of course. Just 18, he’s a long way from the majors.
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (131)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)