Edwin Encarnacion is out of the lineup today

Jun 5, 2014, 11:03 AM EST

Edwin Encarnacion Getty Getty Images

Edwin Encarnacion is not in the Blue Jays’ starting lineup for today’s afternoon tilt against the Tigers.

Encarnacion left last night’s game due to back tightness, but it’s apparently not serious. Today’s just a day off. Adam Lind will start at first base and Dioner Navarro will DH.

Encarnacion has certainly done enough lately to earn a day off. After a power-packed May, he’s hitting .389 with three homers and six RBI in the past week.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM

No surprise. There had to be a reason why he was removed from last night’s game in the last inning. Since it is a day game, today, it makes sense to give him the day off rather than have him DH.

• cur'68 - Jun 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Yep, I agree. I hope he’s over it soon. Being on the road for these games is probably contributing to his back issues: all that sitting for travel is hard on the back. I was driving all over heck’s half acre in Florida this year and my back, which had never been a problem before, was pretty sore.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I hate baseball.

• cur'68 - Jun 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Nooooo! Don’t hate baseball! Baseball doesn’t mean to hurt you like this. Events outside of The Tigers control have got to them. They are still a good team. Better than most, in fact. They are just up against a REALLY good team. The BeaverMen are en fuego and jumping all over pitchers who are just a little off or don’t have really good stuff. The Tigers can beat most everyone else, though.

Not every team team are The Beav, see? Miggy & VMart are still the most feared pair of hitters in all baseball (admittedly this is because E5 and Bautista don’t get the press they do, but lets ignore that) and the team has plenty of pitching. Today they are up against a team that doesn’t strike out as much as they used to, are actually defending their infield, and can just bomb it. This is not everyone in baseball, so take heart, ok?

Now I watched Th BeaverMen wander in the wilderness for years. Decades even. Me and PC put up with our own personal troll and had to endure seasons of his taunting as Our Boys got just owned, season after season by better teams in the AL BEast. We complained, sure. We whined, like anyone would. But we tried to keep a sense of humour, talk a bit of smack, enjoy the company of those who also loved some baseball. So don’t hate baseball. Baseball doesn’t hate you and some of its fans really liked seeing you on here, talking some smack and enjoying the company of other fans.

• cur'68 - Jun 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM

And I’m glad you’re ok. I was getting worried since I hadn’t seen you around the old blog.

• historiophiliac - Jun 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM

I’m not always sure I’m made for these internets. I often don’t get references and feel very out of place. The trolls are depressing. I know how to handle them, but sometimes you have to step back and make sure you are prioritizing the important stuff. How much do I really want to waste energy on that? I need time to think and write, and I didn’t miss the kind of BS that was all over the Verlander post at all. I don’t need that to watch games and have fun. I really like some of the folks here but I’m feeling generally ambivalent.

• cur'68 - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Not getting the reference is part of your charm. Run with it. We like that about you.

But, if you choose to stay away, I understand. You’ll notice that I’m pretty absent most of the time, too. Way too busy and a lot of the whining gets on my nerves. My team spent a lot of years losing and now that they’re winning the bandwagonners, trolls, and general idiots get on my nerves even more.

As for JV, I don’t get why people feel its any of their damn business who he dates and I don’t like the automatic assumption that she’s the cause of his troubles. I’m with you on that.

Anyhow, stay cool. I hope to see you around here still. I’ll be sure and say hi if I have the time for commenting.

• historiophiliac - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I took part in a little rumble this weekend. Me and church is a good team. ;)

I do enjoy being silly with you. Make a little time for that. I have a little Canadian insult I am dying to drop. he he

• cur'68 - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Bring it, Tabby Cat. I watched a Blue Jay insult and torment the living crap out a street cat the other day. Dive bombed him, dropped acorns on him, screamed at him as he tried to sleep. The cat had to give up and leave the ‘hood.

Blue Jays rock.

• historiophiliac - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:41 PM

It ain’t 1812 anymore, son.

• cur'68 - Jun 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I shall pelt you with acorns first chance I get.

• historiophiliac - Jun 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Shut up, three eyes.

• cur'68 - Jun 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

/throws acorn

• historiophiliac - Jun 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Owww!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5362)
  2. M. Kemp (3165)
  3. C. McGehee (2923)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2921)
  5. J. Upton (2856)