Jun 5, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Joey Votto is three weeks into his recovery for a strained quadriceps muscle and was able to field ground balls at first base and take batting practice with the rest of the Reds today.
However, manager Bryan Price indicated to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that there’s no timetable yet for Votto’s return from the disabled list and there are still hurdles to get past before a minor-league rehab assignment can be considered:
He looked strong, but he hasn’t had a huge workload offensively. It’s not like he’s been able to take regular swings off live pitching for a while. … That’s why it seemed to make more sense to bring him to the ballpark and work out with the club for a few days and be able to do baseball activity before deciding the next move.
For his part Votto declined to speak to reporters about his status and, in general, everyone involved has been oddly vague about his recovery process for a while now. In the meantime Price and the Reds continue to give backup catcher Brayan Pena and his .658 career OPS regular starts at first base.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)