Jun 5, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Rockies right-hander Jordan Lyles broke his non-pitching hand while covering the plate on a wild pitch in the first inning last night … and then the 23-year-old remained in the game to throw another three innings against the Diamondbacks.
Lyles was clearly in a lot of pain, but the training staff came out to examine him and let him remain in the game. Afterward he told Cody Uhm of MLB.com:
I knew something was wrong. I’ve never felt that feeling before. I didn’t want to come out during the first and make the bullpen throw nine. There was something wrong. I couldn’t catch the ball from the catcher.
Instead he stayed in the game long enough to allow four runs in what turned out to be a blowout loss at Coors Field. And now he’s headed to the disabled list, which is a shame because Lyles has pitched well this season with a 3.52 ERA and 49/26 K/BB ratio in 69 innings spread over 12 starts for the Rockies after being acquired from the Astros for Dexter Fowler this offseason.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 89
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 42
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 31
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 24
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)