Jun 5, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The Rockies raised some eyebrows over the winter when they gave reliever Boone Logan a three-year, $16.5 million contract and now he’s headed to the disabled list with left elbow inflammation.
According to Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, Logan has been pitching through some discomfort “for a while.” The results haven’t been good. After beginning the season on the DL following October surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow, the 29-year-old has posted a 5.87 ERA over 21 appearances. He has allowed four home runs in just 15 1/3 innings. It’s not a Coors Field issue either, as all four have been on the road.
Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that an MRI ruled out structural damage in Logan’s elbow, so the news could be worse. Still, the early returns on the contract aren’t good.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (159)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)