SportsDash: Talking about Don Zimmer’s legacy

Jun 5, 2014, 3:50 PM EST

I was on SportsDash today talking about Don Zimmer. In hindsight I think I oversold Zimmer’s status as the proto-bench coach a little bit, as I was subsequently reminded that others had filled that role with other teams before Zimmer did. But I do think the idea that Zimmer solidified the idea of teams having a bench coach as a matter of course still stands.

In any event, nothin’ wrong with more Zimmer talk today:

1. yankeessuckameanone - Jun 5, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Forget baseball for a moment. He was a genuine, nice man who everyone should admire and respect for his kindness toward his fellow man.

• derklempner - Jun 5, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Everyone except Pedro Martinez?

2. bigdaddy44 - Jun 5, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Great man and great baseball man also. Made so many contributions to individuals and the game. I was fortunate enough to know him from his time and Boston, in later years got to know some of his wonderful family and got to see many games up here at Zimmer field. His family are a great reflection of the people than Don and Soot are. He will be long remembered and sorely missed.

3. moogro - Jun 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM

It sucks his playing career got ruined by beanballs.

4. hushbrother - Jun 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM

It’s true that Zimmer became universally loved, but that was not always the case. He certainly wasn’t loved in Boston when he managed there. “Universally ridiculed” would be more accurate. He was constantly derided on sports talk radio, where for years his name was synonymous with lousy managing; he wasn’t terribly popular with some of his players. Let’s face it, people who are universally loved don’t receive nicknames like “The Gerbil.”

I always felt this was unfair; Zimmer’s Red Sox teams actually played extremely well for him (they averaged almost 96 wins in his three full seasons there) and it’s not like the managers who succeeded him accomplished a hell of a lot. In any case, I have to believe any negative sentiments toward Zimmer by Red Sox fans, team members or media people have long faded, and most regard him for what he was, a dedicated and sharp baseball man.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2791)
  2. W. Myers (2549)
  3. D. Ross (2224)
  4. C. McGehee (2137)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1990)
  1. J. Shields (1893)