Jun 6, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Derek Holland, working his way back from microfracture surgery on his left knee, could begin a rehab assignment in the coming days if Monday’s workout goes swimmingly, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. The Rangers have been cautious with the rate at which they bring Holland along, but he seems to be on a good trajectory now.
Holland suffered the injury in January when he tripped over his dog on the stairs in his home. It was the start of an injury plague that would ravage the Rangers — Holland is presently one of 12 Rangers on the disabled list. If things go as planned, however, Holland could rejoin the team towards the end of the month or at the beginning of July.
Holland stood out last season after finishing with a 3.42 ERA with a career-best 189/64 K/BB ratio in 213 innings over 33 starts.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 20
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 49
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 11
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)