Jun 6, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Derek Holland, working his way back from microfracture surgery on his left knee, could begin a rehab assignment in the coming days if Monday’s workout goes swimmingly, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. The Rangers have been cautious with the rate at which they bring Holland along, but he seems to be on a good trajectory now.
Holland suffered the injury in January when he tripped over his dog on the stairs in his home. It was the start of an injury plague that would ravage the Rangers — Holland is presently one of 12 Rangers on the disabled list. If things go as planned, however, Holland could rejoin the team towards the end of the month or at the beginning of July.
Holland stood out last season after finishing with a 3.42 ERA with a career-best 189/64 K/BB ratio in 213 innings over 33 starts.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)